• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

17's or 18's? What should I go with?

SVT607

CEG'er
Hey, I am looking at new wheels and tires for my 98 CSVT. This is my third one and I can't decide whether I should go with 17's or 18's. Just looking for a little input :laugh:
Thanks,
Mike

17's will give you an ever so slightly smoother ride than the 18's. The less sidewall you have on your tires, the bumpier and crappier your ride is. I say get 17's in which the spokes meet up with the very outside of the rim, like RS5's. The rims looks bigger this way, and you aren't giving up ride quality. I added a pic of the RS5 so you understand what I'm talking about.

rs5.jpg

17's will give you an ever so slightly smoother ride than the 18's. The less sidewall you have on your tires, the bumpier and crappier your ride is. I say get 17's in which the spokes meet up with the very outside of the rim, like RS5's. The rims looks bigger this way, and you aren't giving up ride quality. I added a pic of the RS5 so you understand what I'm talking about.

rs5.jpg
Hey, maybe I'll use this idea when i start shopping for wheels!:laugh:

rs5.jpg

Good point, I have had 17's before with 45 and 40 series tires, so I figured it wouldnt be too much different than the 40 series. I appreciate the input :D

I love when people comment on rims or anything else they have never owned!!! :nonono:

To get to why i am making my post..I've own both the 17's and 18's of the Rs5's.Get the 18's you will thank me later!. Ride quality was not that huge of a difference, thats depending on how cheap of tires your going to buy on these rims. On my 18's every person always stated how nice the ride was and it didn't feel like crap.. Thats with my car lowered on 18's.

This is 2 years after owning my car...:laugh:

17's
DSC00306.jpg

18's
DSC00651.jpg

Can ya notice a diff :laugh:

i went thru this dillema too. i went with 17's i was afraid of rubbing on turns, and ride quality. would have liked 18's tho.

loaddck2.jpg

im happy with em tho.

Back