• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

14 inch touring tire Vs. 17 inch Fusion ZRi

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
I have to say, WOW.

When I picked up this contour I actually never even drove it on the stock wheels I had the Fusion ZRi's with ST200's on it since the day I picked it up (long story), the Fusions were getting worn out and created all sorts of shakes when driving it, so I decided instead of sinking cash into some All season tires, I would just put the stockers with hub caps back on for the winter until I figured out what I want to do for next summer.

my impression? I mean, these are a CHEAP all season touring tire, the name doesnt ring any bells... But I went for a ride right after finnished and it was like a night and day difference I couldnt believe how much more comfortable it was on the stockers. I decided to check to see how good the wet traction is (it had just finnished raining), I came up to a turn and put it in 2nd doing about 10 mph, and booted the gas pedal, the Tires BROKE LOOSE and just kept spinning for about 5 seconds :shocked: I felt like I had a friggan race car they just wouldnt grip. I am a little concerned about winter driving after that experience, hopefully they will do alright.

the Fusions were my first set of low profile Directional tires, I loved them, and I took a performance tire so for granted, I had no idea they made such a huge difference in handling and grip. I have tried to break them loose before and they just hold on so hard. Despite the Fusions being a performance tire, they will were fairly comfortable for traveling, but did have a bit more road noise then I would have liked. Overall I am pleased with them, but I probably wouldnt buy another set for wheels that can be used year round, I am going to check into the Fusion HRi's next year around.

they dont look THAT bad, especially on the Eibach springs with SE skirts, I expected a lot worse.

I was looking for a dirt cheap set of E1's or E0's or even stock SE 15's but nothing really came up with good tires or in my price range, so these will have to do for the winter.

they dont look THAT bad, especially on the Eibach springs with SE skirts, I expected a lot worse.

I was looking for a dirt cheap set of E1's or E0's or even stock SE 15's but nothing really came up with good tires or in my price range, so these will have to do for the winter.

what's your price range? Buy my SE's!!

I had the HRi on my stock SVT 16" and they held on just as good as the ZRi's and the ride was smoother, I just put back on the ZRi and you really feel the road under you, also my ZRi are 40"'s compared to the HRi were 55"'s. 1 more thing,
I'm not sure they make the HRi in 17" or its 50 series the break off point to thr ZRi.

Last edited:
I had the HRi on my stock SVT 16" and they held on just as good as the ZRi's and the ride was smoother, I just put back on the ZRi and you really feel the road under you, also my ZRi are 40"'s compared to the HRi were 55"'s. 1 more thing,
I'm not sure they make the HRi in 17" or its 50 series the break off point to thr ZRi.

I found the HRi's in a 215/45R17 for only like $4 more a tire compared to the ZRi.

I probably will go 215/50R17 if I can, I want a little bit smoother ride since im on the highway a lot.

I found the HRi's in a 215/45R17 for only like $4 more a tire compared to the ZRi.

I probably will go 215/50R17 if I can, I want a little bit smoother ride since im on the highway a lot.

A 215/45R/17 isn't that harsh of a ride, you must be really picky when it comes to ride, I suggest you put on a stock suspension and keep the 14s :D.

Aaron

A 215/45R/17 isn't that harsh of a ride, you must be really picky when it comes to ride, I suggest you put on a stock suspension and keep the 14s :D.

Aaron

part of it was how terrible my tires were on the ST200's all sorts of flat spots and stuff, im sure I would have been comfortable with the same tires again had they not been all messed up.

Jared,
Your car didnt ride bad at all. I dunno what you are talking about. Try some ksports with a 35 series tire, then you can complain lol.

Jared,
Your car didnt ride bad at all. I dunno what you are talking about. Try some ksports with a 35 series tire, then you can complain lol.

like I said it wasnt a horrible ride, it was just really shakey due to worn out tires.

Ypsilanti also has some of the worst roads I have ever driven on, so it really does make everything seem 10fold worse than it really was.

I dont ever hurt after driving, and I have been in an SVT with D2's that **** is ROUGH!

Back