• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

16" or 17" wheels?

Swami

CEG'er
I have the original CSVT wheels and am finally considering aftermarket wheels. I am more into performance/cornering than looks, so lightness is important. Is there any reason(s) to go 17" other than for style?

​Also, if I stiffen up and lower the suspension, wouldn't having more tire give a bit more cushion?

Well is the goal to get the corner weight down? Would need to look at the weight of the tire you are interested in and the weight of the wheel. Perhaps a 17" combo will weigh less than a 16" combo. Chances are it will be less than stock wheels.

Yes, stiffen up the suspension and run a low profile tire will possibly make for a ruff ride. The 16" combo should give some more cushion while driving.

Well is the goal to get the corner weight down? Would need to look at the weight of the tire you are interested in and the weight of the wheel. Perhaps a 17" combo will weigh less than a 16" combo. Chances are it will be less than stock wheels.

Yes, stiffen up the suspension and run a low profile tire will possibly make for a ruff ride. The 16" combo should give some more cushion while driving.

^^^^I would agree on this statement.

I run two contours.. one on 17" focus SVT wheels.. and one on 16" stock SVT E1 wheels..

I truly see a huge improvement with the 17"'s and almost NO loss of comfort for the extra inch...there may be some but I don't feel/see it..

Take in to account how wide you want your tires as well.. I.E. my 16"s are a 205 thats factory for a early SVT's (mine are on a 4banger mystique) ...NOT a 215.. where as my 17"s are a 225...

the 17"s are about 1/4 inch shy from touching the strut assembly.. i can barley get a finger between them.. that is without wheels spacers on a 99 SVT.

I am one to believe that the compound/width factor much more into it than people think..

The 17"s allow you to run a more ridged/wider tire.. and give better looks while reducing weight.. The better question is why keep the 16"s??

IMO 17"s are the perfect size tire/rim for this car..for all around DD fun.

Thanks for the feed back!

​My main reason for keeping 16's is that my current tires have 50% life left - and as I drive so little that could be years before they wear out. That - and the weight of the 16" wheels (sans tires) is lighter than the 17". Of course, I need to consider the weight of the combo.

"I truly see a huge improvement with the 17"'s "

​In what way? What is the width? Sounds like a 7.5"...

The wider the tire the more "planted" the car should feel. It seems like I can take corners faster in my Focus than the Contours. However the tech in the Focus is also 12 years newer. I did put 245/35R18's on the Focus, the Contours have 225/45R17's on them.

The one Contour I have OZ Supperleggeras, that I think are 15# or 17# each. IIRC the factory 16" wheel is more like 20# or so.

Are 16" or 17" X 7.5" wheels too wide as the FAQ suggests? Seems like most agree that 17" X 7" is the best for a DD.

Thanks for the feed back!

​My main reason for keeping 16's is that my current tires have 50% life left - and as I drive so little that could be years before they wear out. That - and the weight of the 16" wheels (sans tires) is lighter than the 17". Of course, I need to consider the weight of the combo.

"I truly see a huge improvement with the 17"'s "

​In what way? What is the width? Sounds like a 7.5"...

Yes in width.. and on harder corners the tires don't fold nearly as much... Like Brapple said. the car feels MUCH more planted..and firmer I feel I get more direct feeling of what the tires are doing on the road on the 17's (being a little stiffer) than with the 16"s(softer more giving)

Take in to account the benefit of the wheels would be X4.. so if u add 1" at one wheel your really increasing the contact patch 4" all the way around.

As stated I can tell tossing the car side to side that the tires feel less "spongey" and more crisp..on the 17"s

Run your 16"s they can handle most spirited driving.. just be prepared for them to start making noise earlier.. Once you wear them down to minimun tread depth.. Then jump for the 17"s

I know the factory Focus SVT wheels I have are listed as being 21lbs a piece.. but seriously keep in mind its not only about weight.. Like I.E. if you retain the same weight(rotational mass) but increase the cars "footprint" by 4'"s or so i would say even trade..

And I seem to get the same Gas mileage on both wheels

thats how it feels to me

This may be the deciding factor: I noticed that the 17" tires are about $40-50 cheaper than the 16" tires! I am guessing that is because they are a rarer fitment.

Back