• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aftermarket coil spring rates

Swami

CEG'er
All I have seen on this forum is the amount of drop. Does anyone have info on the various spring rates in pounds?

I don't recall seeing anything over the years. Recommendation has always been to go with a quality brand. I can only guess that H&R and Eibach are similar as I have had both on the same car. They are firmer than stock but not a whole lot it would seem. Of course that is all relative ....

Sometimes an email to customer service will get you an answer, Eibach has always been straightforward with me. About the only way to be sure is buy or build conversions for 2.5" ID race springs (coilovers...) and get springs from a trusted manufacturer like Eibach or Hyperco.

I don't recall seeing anything over the years. Recommendation has always been to go with a quality brand. I can only guess that H&R and Eibach are similar as I have had both on the same car. They are firmer than stock but not a whole lot it would seem. Of course that is all relative ....

Did you feel it was worth the upgrade from a handling perspective? Am I correct in assuming stock springs are linear whereas most aftermarket springs are progressive? How does that differ in feel?

Did you feel it was worth the upgrade from a handling perspective? Am I correct in assuming stock springs are linear whereas most aftermarket springs are progressive? How does that differ in feel?
I think so. I've utilized Eibach, B&G, and BAT...and I really liked Eibachs the best. All will reduce dive and side-to-side wallow...but not as much as a true coil over. Springs/struts are can make a big improvement, but are only a starting point to a well handling car.

I do not recall if the springs are linear or progressive. At this point in time any change will be an improvement as most likely the original or replacement suspension is worn out. Check out the FAQ, should be some info there.

However, I feel that my 2012 Focus SE, which is stock minus 234/40R18 high performance all season tires handles better. But on some level being a hatch and 12 years newer should make up all of that difference.

While my car is old it only has 50K miles so the suspension is still tight so trying to figure if an upgrade will do much until the parts are a bit more worn.

Back