• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Strut mounts and stabilizer bar links

dezenzerrick

CEG'er
Hi all,

95 Mystique Duratec, and today I took my car for an oil change (I was lazy and in a rush, otherwise would've done it myself) and I was told that my front strut mounts are wearing, as well as my stabilizer bar links. I was a little skeptical at first, being that nothing looked or felt out of place on the car. No noises, nothing that would signify suspension issues. The strut assembly itself has about 45,000 miles on it, mostly highway.

If it turns out that I need to replace the mount, would it be better in this case to just get new strut assemblies?

If so, has anyone come across a guide on how to do this? I.e, what tools do i need, besides the obvious compressor and wrenches, I'm wondering if there are any "specialty" tools necessary. I do have a complete shop manual.

Can the stabilizer bar links be replaced at the same time as a strut removal/replacement?

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks!

You have to disconnect the stabilizer links to get the struts out anyway, so... sure.

The only "specialty" tool you need is the spring compressor.

45,000 miles isn't "fresh", but in my experience, the struts usually last about 60k before getting really sloppy. And you don't notice it because it happens gradually.

Thanks for the info.

I kinda figured the struts weren't bad, but I'm wondering if it may just be worth it to replace them while they're out. If I am replacing mounts, might as well go all out, right?

I don't think it's urgent, but if you're going to be keeping the car for a good long time, and you don't want to address it again for several more years, then it's a fine plan.

Back