• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clock + PATS Recontent Help Needed

mrspindlelegs

CEG'er
I just completed the early 1998 SVT dash swap into a 1999 SVT. Along the way, I managed to acquire a Dash Clock/PATS bezel to swap in at the same time but some help is needed on the wiring harness. I was sloppy and did not pay attention to the exact model year Contour that the combo Clock/PATS panel was acquired from. The wire harness was acquired from the donor car at the same time but one wire has me stumped. Here is what has been verified on the donor car clock/PATS harness: There are 5 wires and 4 have been assigned through common sense + trial & error:

Solid orange wire = Connect a 24/7 12V+ feed to this as it powers the clock and PATS LED (can use a radio or cigarette lighter 12V+ wire as source here)

White w/orange stripe wire = Connect the variable voltage output from the dimmer switch to this wire since it powers the backlight

Two of black w/orange stripe wires = One of these is the ground for both the clock and the backlight illumination bulb. The other wire is the ground for the PATS LED light.

Blue w/white stripe wire = What the hell is this for??? All tests of feeding positive vs. ground connections reveal nothing and vice versa.

As you can see, the Blue w/white stripe wire has me puzzled. Was something missed when using very short duration connection tests to verify the other 4 wire functions? Do I just insulate and forget the blue w/white stripe wire? I've already verified the wire harness color assignment in the 1999 SVT which feeds the PATS LED bulb (Two wires. Solid Orange is the +12V feed from Fuse F34 and the Black w/blue stripe wire is the ground feed controlled by the both the Anti-theft and Powertrain Control Modules).

Please Note: Exhaustive searching of multiple subforums was done on CEG. What I found was other people asking effectively the same question. The respondants who knew the answer posted links to other threads. The problem is that all those links have been broken due to 1 or 2 changeovers in who runs these forums. They may have all been posting the same link to a very old thread that has been permanently lost. So, if you plan to post a link to a past post, make sure that it is still valid first. This thread is a good way to recover some lost knowledge on a common mod.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I wired mine to the back of the radio like so:

blue/white to accessory power
black/orange to ground
orange to constant 12V
white/pink to dimmer

Back