• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Source for Miniature Light Bulbs

giganto

CEG'er
I have first generation Contours and Mystiques with the illuminated door handle pockets. These miniature light bulbs with a green coating on them have been obsolete for years now from Ford, so I have cannibalized all I could out of the local junkyard. Since they decontented this feature pretty early in the production run, I have figured out how to replace them. These same bulbs, but lacking the green coating, are in all of the old-style (no reflector) high center mounted brake lights. Simply pull the bulbs out of the sockets and dip them in Tamiya Clear Green paint and let them dry. This same technique can be used to change the colors of the pocket door lamps as well as the instrument cluster simply by using a different paint.

Do u have a number of the bulb and type that you are speaking of?? I would LOVE to recontent my doors

If the wiring and sockets are still in the doors, you could re-content with the correct lamps. Knowing Ford as I do, de-contenting a lamp would be more than just not putting a bulb in a socket. Automotive wiring harnesses tend to be the single most expensive component in a modern car, so I'd think they'd de-content the Copper and socket to really save some coin, but I've never been inside my doors, so I'm not sure.

The bulbs in the high mount stop lamp assemblies are #2723 T1&1/2 miniature wedge base lamps, you can buy these new at any auto parts store, dip them in Tamiya Clear Green paint. From the Ford shop manual, it looks like #2723 is also the bulb in the door handle pockets.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1578&ppt=C0010

I just found a pretty good write up on a recontenting procedure from our Mondeo cousins.

http://www.mirez.co.uk/DoorLight.htm

They avoid the wiring loom issue by tapping into the door window illumination switch lights, provided those light up on your model. They deleted this later as well.

Back