• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

'98 CSVT Mod Progress

WillNC

New CEG'er
Ok, I haven't posted anything about my mod/restoration progress since my original member classroom post in October (link to thread below). However, since October I have had a lot of work done (no real modding, mostly maintenance and restoration) and during this process we found a few things that may help in modding and maintenance. I will try to keep up with this post as the work is done, rather than post-mortem style. I have paid a garage to do all the work so far because I don't have the time to do it myself, nor a facility work in. That said, I do not have really any photo documentation of the progress, but I will post what parts invoices I have. For now I'll post the images, later I'll set-up a google drive for all this and just post photo links. It was HELL finding some of these parts, so if I can save any of you that step, I'll try. I am going to try to have all [most] work done before the spring '15 meet-up, but if I can't get the motor built in time, I may not be able to drive to FL in it. Without further ado, here is what has been replaced to date (Revision 1/30/2015):

Brakes:
  • Master Cylinder w/o reservoir - From NAPA (I contacted many suppliers, even Ford, and could not find one w/reservior) - because I was having to pump my clutch almost every day to be drive-able, not to mention the brakes felt like crap.
  • Rotors, Pads, SS Hoses, Front Calipers - From BAT Inc (parts list in image below) - One problem I ran into with the front calipers is, before I bought the car the previous owner had put Mustang brakes on it. When the calipers were being installed, I needed the spacers from the SVT calipers so they would fit around the rotors, but didn't have the original SVT calipers. I had to pull them from salvage to get the spacers. Rear Calipers - From NAPA and had cores - They fit without getting spacers (so they must have been svt calipers not standard Contour calipers). The NAPA calipers came black coated, whereas the BAT calipers need to be primed and painted.
Under Carriage:
  • Air bag suspension was removed.
  • Struts and Springs installed - From BAT Inc (euro kit, F&R dust boots, F&R upper strut mounts)
  • 21mm rear sway w/bushings and links - From BAT Inc
  • Control Arms - Both sides front (ball joints came already pressed), both sides front rear and rear rear <- crazy I know - I didn't purchase these, so I'll ask the garage and see where they got them.
  • Inner and Outer Tie Rods - both sides - I didn't purchase these, so I'll ask the garage and see where they got them.
  • ALL suspension bushings - yes all, I'll get a more detailed list and post later - most of them were shot, some of them were missing from the air bag install. The suspension was a mess. I didn't purchase these, so I'll ask the garage and see where they got them.
Drive train:
  • Drive Axles - both sides - From NAPA - The axles came boot-to-boot and had cores.
  • Transmission Mount - OEM replacement
Electrical: (I would like to have someone re-wire her. If anyone has recommendations of people who can do this, PM me.)
  • Alternator and pigtail - OEM - This CSVT had dual optimus batteries in the trunk. During the alternator replacement we moved one of the batteries back into the engine compartment, to eliminate voltage loss and strain on the alternator. In the future I will have a high performance alternator built, but this will suffice for now.
  • A/C system (compressor, orifice tube, dryer) - I'll put this under the electrical category simply because the burned out system was causing crazy my electrical system to go nuts.
  • Ignition Coil - OEM - If anyone has used a better coil (MSD, etc) let me know, the idle and throttle response on this is a little lackluster.
Wheels and Tires:
  • When I bought it, it had 18" Enkei wheels and some no-name brand low pro tires on it. I kept the Enkei's, but I put on 215/45R18 Hankook V2's.
To Do List: (I will add more detail to this later)
  • Engine and trans - Engine From NPG
    • Super charged 3.0L (we have spoken a few times about what I'm looking for, just not set in stone yet) - with all the bells and whistles (internals and bolt-on's and tuning equipment)
    • Rebuild MTX75 - stage 3 SPEC clutch kit
  • Re-Wire electrical system
  • Rebuild ABS Control Module - if anyone has input on this, let me know.

I will return later today (1/30/15) to continue my update, I just need to go pick her up now and get more details to share... and when I return I'll scan more of my invoices and get them posted.

BAT_suspension_parts.PNG

BAT_Brake_parts.PNG

Attachments

• BAT_Brake_parts.PNG
    BAT_Brake_parts.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
Back