• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

V6 vs I4 Airbox/filter questions

FrancisPennysac

Veteran CEG'er
I did plenty of research and wasnt able to find anything about this... unless I just missed it..

I am looking at a K&N drop in filter for my 98 mystique zetec.... My question is K&N list different numbers for the air filters for the v6 to the I4... Although they look very similar, Is there a difference? Are they the same size in the airbox itself??

Im looking up picking up one for around 30 bux...if it fits and that's what Im trying to figure out as Id hate to drive all that way just to find out its like an inch short or something.

So in a nutshell, Is the FACTORY AIRBOX in the duratec and Zetec motors the same?? do they take the same airfilter?? I am NOT talking at all about the SVT duratec.

Any help would be great.. thanks guys

They are slightly different. The part number shows a difference in length, which on the Zetec, the length is 15.531 inches where the V6 filter is 12.535 inches. The width is larger by an inch as well for the Zetec.

Don't know why the Zetec has a larger filter than the V6 filter, but it is.

thanks I just called K&N and confirmed what you wrote... well atleast the info is now here for anyone else late to the "contique" party :)

Back