• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Prostop Pads?

Called up Pep Boys for new pads for my car(98 E1).

They have regular ones for 20 a set and ceramic Prostop's for 42 a set.

Anyone ever heard of this brand?

I haven't.

I was wondering if they werre worth the money, and how they performed.

Especially in bad weather.

Also Autozone has Duralast's for 24 a set.

Should I get any of these or just order some other brand online?

Pro Stop is Pep Boy's own brand. They appear to be identical to Satisfied Brakes ceramic offering. You can check out the Satisfied Brakes web site for more information. Satisfied is sold under their own label by Kragen which is part of a larger group that includes Checker and I think Advance.

I would like to try those pads on my E0, but no one makes ceramics for the larger E0 brakes. I do have Satisfied semi-metalic on the front of the SVT as well as Satisfied ceramics on the rear. The semi metalic fronts work OK cold but improve as they warm up. They always feel very stable. They are not as rotor friendly as ceramics. The rears hold better than the Raybestos semi metalics I had on it before. The Raybestos sometimes didn't hold the parking brake very well.

I do have Satisfied ceramics on my Escape. I'm very pleased with them. Braking has always great. They have reasonable initial bite and stay consistant as they warm up. They don't fade in rainy weather either. They dust much less than the factory pad did, and even less than Raybestos Quiet Stops. They are very rotor friendly, showing no wear and no scoring.

There has been some controversy that ceramic pads tend to fade under extreme braking conditions, but I have not experienced that.

So I would say try them and let us know what you think.

Thanks for the advice man.

By the way, I have never bought any other pads than Duralasts, so I am not familiar with performance pad prices, and I know I am just being lazy for not just looking it up, but I have limited time before work today, so.........

Is $42 a set a lot for the Prostop ceramics?

Could I get a much better pad for similar money(or at least more proven)?

Thanks.

By the way, I have never bought any other pads than Duralasts, so I am not familiar with performance pad prices, and I know I am just being lazy for not just looking it up, but I have limited time before work today, so.........

Thanks.

Duralast = junk

PM stazi and get a brake kit from him. You WILL notice a difference.

Thanks.

That's a good price.

Autozone / Pep Boys / Oreillys / any other parts store, do not carry performance brake pads. They carry replacement pads intended for street use.

Performance pads are Hawk, Performance Friction, Porterfield, etc. Their prices start ~$80 / axel.

I used a set of Orielly pads on the rear of my RX-7 and they worked ok on the street but were exceedingly dangerous on the track. Horrible brake fade in less than 5 laps.

That's an OK price.
I spent around that for some sorta performance pads (name brand but I don't remember it) for my 96.
I spent ~$200 for carbotech pads front and back for the svt.
For cars that Hawk makes pads for, you can usually find them for ~$60.

Duralast = junk

They are cheap stuff, but for someone like my mom, who eats pads like crazy, it's perfect.

Buy them once, and never buy them again. Lifetime replacements. Buy the new pads and after you change them, return the old worn pads. Can't beat it.

Nothing I would ever use on my car though. :laugh:

Back