• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SCTC ft. caliper/rotor problem

jimbbski

CEG'er
Lately I have heard a noise from my front suspension. It was speed dependent so I thought of the brakes, wh/bearings, and CV's as possible sources of this noise. It came from the RF. I checked it out yesterday and compared all of those items to the LF as far as play, etc. I even ran the car in gear with the ft. wheels up in the air so that I could listen for the noise. The only thing I can find or see is the rotor. There is a band of rust on the wheel side near the inside of the wiped area of the rotor like the inner part of the pad is not contacting that part of the rotor, even thought it should. Or I should say it is contacting the rotor only in one small part where the rust may be a bit thicker. It was only yesterday that I started to feel anything back through the steering, until then only the noise.

I was wondering if anyone had seen this on their front rotors. I did a brake job less then a year ago with new pads & rotors and the old rotors showed this wear pattern. But never any noise from them. It's like the caliper can't squeeze the pads evenly across the whole pad. The inner part is just along for the ride.

Fox Mustangs have similar issues with their calipers and kits have been sold to replace the rubber bushings on the calipers with SS ones. What about the Contours? Anyone try this?

I plan on removing the rotors and cleaning them. I think I will chuck them in my lathe and cut that area to even the rusted part with the clean part and see it the noise goes away.

Back