• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaking Brake Fluid

LGR Mystique

CEG'er
I noticed that every other time i go out to my car and put down the Hand Brake...the brake light is on and when i check the fluid level, it's low. Right now my car is parked on my driveway but it will be back on the road as of Tuesday...but i still don't know why my fluid is always low =S i have new brake cylinders in the rear because it failed when i went to get it safety'd. Anyone know why?

ok what is more than likely happening is your parking brake cables are stuck. or the U shaped part on your rear calipers are suck causing the pads to push on the rotor therefor displacing fluid. this happneds from cold weather. dont use you parking brake when its cold

Are you adding fluid when it is low?

If every time you check the fluid level it is low you have a leak somewhere.

Sticking e-brake cables causing the shoes not to release fully or the pads not backing off fully will not dispace enough fluid to turn the light on.

I had the same thing happening to me not to long ago. Is this an automatic or a manual car?

I found that the o-ring on the throw out bearing was cracked and brake fluid was leaking from the line coming out of the bell housing. It's real easy to check as you should see brake fluid on top of the bell housing if it's leaking there. Also check under your car for stains to hone in on the area it's leaking from. It also wouldn't hurt to crawl under the car and look for drips.

It's a Automatic Duratec V6 it's at about the Min level....yes i do keep adding the level as of Tuesday i will be driving the car again daily so i'll top it up and keep an eye on the level and it if goes low again i know for sure i have a leak somewhere....

Back