• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

e-brake reset

gorman

Hard-core CEG'er
Hi guys;

can someone help me please.....

i've just tried to install a new e-brake handle but i can't get the tensioner pawl / toothed wheel arrangement to reset.

In the book it says new handles are preset to the right position .... i want to adjust my handle so that i have maximum cable adjustment/ slack on the primary cable too.

After reading the book several times, i still can't figure how to do what it is saying :confused: ....G.

Can't say i know where the new ebrake cable sits. But to make it be free from the ratchet there is a 'button' you push and it releases the ratcheting.

The button that releases the toothed tensioner wheel is part of the pawl.

.... i can't get the tensioner wheel to wind back, giving me the slack i need to hook everything up :crazy: ....G.

This is due to the "Y cable" that runs from the rear individual brake cables (at each rear wheel assembly) to the e-brake handle, has come loose. It is something of a bear to access, as this cables metal bracket that affixes to the two previously mentioned cables, is above the exhaust heat cover, in the floor pan "tunnel". I was able to remove the exhaust hanger brackets, and reach above the aforementioned heat cover, in order to gain access to the metal bracket. I used deep reach needle nose pliers to assist me. Of course laying on my backside, with the rear end up on jack-stands is ALWAYS fun. Moral of this story is to ALWAYS keep the "Y cable" properly tensioned so you don't run into the dilemma you are now facing.

i think i should explain more clearly......

I have removed my rear calipers to rebuild them

The center consol is removed to gain access for wire routing.

I took the opportunity to swap out the e-brake lever.

Fortunately the car is already on axle stands .... so whatever is required, i already have complete access.

All i need to know is, how to get the primary cable tensioner to its starting position .....G.

Thank you for that.

My new handle came with a length of primary cable still attached, i have been using that to pull on the adjuster wheel.

The problem i'm having is that as soon as i release the tension on the piece of cable, the tensioner spring ratchets back the adjuster wheel. :confused:

Do you know how to stop it from doing that ? thanks ... G

...ok thanks.

I've asked several people and nobody can see the solution, so we are are not alone in being stumped ...G.

don't worry guys i figured it out.

The solution is so easy and doesn't involve removing the handle or the heatshields or the balance bar or involve putting your car up on axle stands !!!

Kudos to the first person to work out what i did ..... answer in 7 days..... G.

nope ... but it is as easy as that !!

Glad someone is intrigued .... G.

yeah afterwards, cos i was so pleased with myself !! lol ....G.

i think i should explain more clearly......

I have removed my rear calipers to rebuild them

The center consol is removed to gain access for wire routing.

I took the opportunity to swap out the e-brake lever.

Fortunately the car is already on axle stands .... so whatever is required, i already have complete access.

All i need to know is, how to get the primary cable tensioner to its starting position .....G.

reinstalled the calipers?

not yet, but i now have all the play on the e-brake cables at the caliper, i could possibly want.

If anyone works for Fords.... i would be interested to know how the tech's there do it ...G.

don't worry guys i figured it out.

The solution is so easy and doesn't involve removing the handle or the heatshields or the balance bar or involve putting your car up on axle stands !!!

Kudos to the first person to work out what i did ..... answer in 7 days..... G.

Blocked the tensioner with a pin?

Back