major issue after simple brake job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• major issue after simple brake job.

I recently put pads and rotors on a 96 Mystique V6. All went well, with the exception of a broken bleeder screw which has since been replaced. Now when we went to drive the car, the pedal felt spongy. Checked the fluid. It was full, but almost black. Did a full flush and still no change. Rebled the brakes and still no change. Master cylinder...same thing... the only other thing I can think of would be the booster (had my brakes go out while driving before with no leaks). Is it possible for the booster to even go bad duting such a routine thing? Even with the car off, the pedal still has a lot of travel.... did I answer my own question...or is it possibly something else???
    98.5 CSVT 6357, Port-matched '04 3L, 17" Prolines, resonator deleted, Cobalt Blue Metallic, custom hood/tail lights.

1999 CSVT 1394, all stock and staying that way!

Black means heat and probably water. Once you bled the brakes the second time does it loose fluid? Sounds like air in the system, bleed all 4 brakes.
    Don Higgins
    Crew Chief Pro Drag Racing Software
    http://www.crewchiefpro.com
    1999 3.0 Turbo CSVT ** 2013 American Dragster with 1100 Horsepower 7.28 @ 185 mph

Comment

Bled all four twice. And the only time fluid was lost was during bleeding. No leaks and all line/hose connections are tight. Drove it a little bit last night and it seemed to get a little better. There is too much travel in the brake pedal for my liking...but it stops...ok...
      98.5 CSVT 6357, Port-matched '04 3L, 17" Prolines, resonator deleted, Cobalt Blue Metallic, custom hood/tail lights.

Comment

Are you sure the caliper retaining springs were put on correctly? That will make the pedal feel spongy...

Comment

They are on right. A PITA... but on the right way. It seems to be a little better now for some reason...

Comment

Just for giggles bleed the clutch as well.
            Don Higgins
            Crew Chief Pro Drag Racing Software
            http://www.crewchiefpro.com
            1999 3.0 Turbo CSVT ** 2013 American Dragster with 1100 Horsepower 7.28 @ 185 mph

Comment

Did that first! And after a week, all is still well.

Comment

No need to bleed with changing pads and rotors, I never do it.

If booster goes bad pedal effort gets harder not softer.

Air in lines.

Comment

Working...
                X