• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Parking brake works on one wheel but not the other - 1999 Contour SVT 17000

Mr Bill

CEG'er
I looked at the wheel and no cables are broken maybe something is rusty and needs lubrication.

Check the upside-down U-shaped actuator arm on the caliper that the parking brake cable connects to. You can take the boot off, clean, and lubricate everything inside there and work the arm back and forth with a large set if vice grips. It may or may not help at this point, and you may need to replace the caliper to fix it. But it sounds like that actuator arm is rusted in place. Hope that helps!

Sounds to me like the short cable leading to that particular wheel is frozen, and the other side moves normally.

Usually once they freeze up, no amount of lubrication will fix it. Look into replacing the cable on that side.

Good point^. Best thing to do is detach the cable from the caliper, and see if you can move the parking brake actuator. If you can, then as B3NN3TT said, the cable may be frozen. You might be able to try to slide the cable within the jacket to see if it moves at all.

I just did new rear calipers and new rear parking brake cables (Raybestos brand cables, from Rock Auto) because my one of my calipers was shot, and both of my cables were literally freezing. When we had freezing temperatures, moisture/water trapped inside the jacket would freeze up and prevent me from engaging/disengaging the parking brake. Apparently, once the boot on the caliper-end of the cable is destroyed, water gets in, causes rust, and freezes in cold temperatures.

Soaked withh pb blaster and will see if it open up. If not will get these cables for a 1999 ford contour svt. Tx

Back