• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

FSVT front rotors without NPG hardware kit???

AGrayson84

CEG'er
Hi everyone! I just realized today, after changing my front calipers 2 weeks ago, that I don't have any special hardware on my front brakes to work with FSVT front rotors.

My car came with FSVT front rotors, calipers, and pads. I decide to change over to new CSVT calipers (bigger piston bore) while retaining the FSVT rotors and pads. All my car had was a small spacer (a somewhat thick washer) between each caliper bracket and the knuckle. No adapter brackets, or anything fancy. Just an OEM looking caliper bracket and the spacers.

I didn't think anything of it until I read today that the NPG kit is required for using the FSVT front rotors on the front end. How is it that I'm running the FSVT rotors without these brackets????????

The caliper bracket (aside from the use of spacers) bolted right up to my knuckle. The FSVT calipers and CSVT calipers both bolt directly up to the caliper brackets. The only thing I had to do was trim the outer pad backing to fit my CSVT calipers. I measured the rotors and they were 11.9".

Do I possibly have FSVT front knuckles on my car? Or is that not possible?

You have some pics of it? I don't see how the calipers would clear the rotors without being spaced away from the knuckles to clear the new diameter of the rotors.

The FSVT rotor and caliper can be used with the FSVT caliper bracket. As you noted spacers are needed to make this work. This is what some people did before the NPG kit became available.

The NPG kit allows the use of the FSVT rotor while retaining the stock CSVT caliper and bracket. Also no spacers are required.

I have not previously heard that the CSVT caliper fits the FSVT bracket.

You do not have FSVT front hubs on your car.

I run fsvt front rotors, brackets and pads, while using csvt calipers. Fsvt brackets do typically need spaced out 3mm give or take using washers.

Great thanks for the clarification guys! Was beginning to think I had FSVT knuckles. And yep, the CSVT calipers lined right up perfectly on the FSVT caliper brackets. No modifications to the caliper nor caliper bracket for that, but just have to grind off the tab at the top of the outer brake pad backing plates. The brake pad retainers went on without modification.

I forget the difference I measured, but the CSVT caliper definitely does have a slightly bigger piston than the FSVT. Definitely noticeable difference without even measuring them.

Unfortunately I did not take any pictures because my hands were covered in grease and soaked in brake fluid during most of the caliper swap. When I change the pads and rotors on the car I'll definitely take pictures but that won't be until sometime early next year.

Thanks!,
Andrew

Side note: (someone correct if I am wrong)
If using CSVT calipers with FSVT brackets, they must be E1 calpiers. E0 calipers won't bolt into FSVT brackets.

You know.... I'm not sure of that. I initially asked for '98 E0 calipers at AutoZone, got home, and noticed that I had one E0 and one E1. Took me a moment to realize which was which, and I thought the E0 caliper looked ugly (lol) so I took it back and swapped it for the newer style. Before I took the E0 back I measure the bolt spacing with a set of measuring calipers and the bolt spacing seemed to be the same. Seems like it would have bolted up, but I can't confirm that. Even if it did bolt up, I'm not sure if the caliper would have for some reason not cleared the FSVT rotor.

But I can definitely confirm that the E1/newer CSVT calipers bolt right up.

Brad and I did this swap on our cars at about the same time. I think I did mine a few weeks before he did his. We both ran the FSVT calipers and brackets at first but I swapped back to Contour calipers and used the FSVT brackets still. He planned to swap back to Contour calipers but sold the car before doing so. We were both disappointed in the pedal feel after swap due to the change in piston diameter. I have this setup on the cougar and I'm fairly pleased with it still although I have yet to get the car on the track to see how they really hold up.

Yeah I definitely notice the brakes feeling a little more responsive after the caliper swap. Not night and day difference, but the CSVT calipers do provide a touch more stopping power. Grinding the tab on the outer brake pads with a Dremel was a bit of a pain in the a**, but I got the job done. Still planning on doing FSVT rotors out back next year. Going to try Hawk ceramic FSVT pads up front, some ceramic pads in the rear, and these Stoptech rotors all the way around:

http://www.gp-werks.com/Stoptech-Focus-SVT-Rear-DrilledSlotted-Rotors-2002-04-Pair-GP-12761074.htm

drilled_slotted(1).jpg

Your gonna want to run SVTC front 278mm rotors on the rear if your running svtf 300mm in the front. Don't want to be running the same size rotors front and rear.

That's it then. I'm putting some CDW-27 calipers on my SVT Focus. It seems to require a lot more pedal pressure to stop than it should.

Your gonna want to run SVTC front 278mm rotors on the rear if your running svtf 300mm in the front. Don't want to be running the same size rotors front and rear.

Why do you say that? I figure the smaller pistons on the rear calipers, smaller pad surface area, and less pressure that the rear brakes receive than the front would be fine for running the same rotors on the rear. I've noticed lately that a few cars run the same size rotors in the rear from the factory.

Side note: (someone correct if I am wrong)
If using CSVT calipers with FSVT brackets, they must be E1 calpiers. E0 calipers won't bolt into FSVT brackets.

You got it right.

You know.... I'm not sure of that. I initially asked for '98 E0 calipers at AutoZone, got home, and noticed that I had one E0 and one E1. Took me a moment to realize which was which, and I thought the E0 caliper looked ugly (lol) so I took it back and swapped it for the newer style. Before I took the E0 back I measure the bolt spacing with a set of measuring calipers and the bolt spacing seemed to be the same. Seems like it would have bolted up, but I can't confirm that. Even if it did bolt up, I'm not sure if the caliper would have for some reason not cleared the FSVT rotor.

But I can definitely confirm that the E1/newer CSVT calipers bolt right up.

The bracket->hub bolt pattern is the same on the E0 and E1, its the Slide Pins that are different. The E0 slide pins are spaced wider, by about 1/4" or more, than the E1.

so how does the piston diameter relate to the pressure it puts out and how that feels. if the diameter is larger and being fed by the same size line doesnt it have less pressure ?

Back