• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

problems with hawk pads

aboythatskates

Hard-core CEG'er
So i installed all 4 ebc rotors and hawk pads and they are dragging pretty bad. I only noticed when i put the car back on the lift and spun then by hand, and they were hot!

So is there a difference in thickness between the e1 pads and e0 pads? I may have gotten them wrong

I left the car at school and this is my only car. I need to get it done tomorrow

If the pads are dragging excessively its likely because the caliper is not retracting like its supposed to. this can be due to a few different causes but the most common is sticking slide pins (easy fix, just pull the pins, clean them up, and grease them up with some caliper lube). another possible reason is a bad piston seal in the caliper or a collapsed inner lining of the brake hose. there is one other possibility if all 4 drag excessively and that would be a bad master cylinder or an improperly adjusted brake booster pushrod (blocking off the compensation ports will cause the fluid to expand when it gets hot and press on the pistons in the calipers instead of expanding back into the reservoir).

obviously if you just finished driving the car and used the brakes they will be hot. they might drag a tiny bit (enough to hear it but not enough to really affect the rotation of the tire) which is normal but if they make the wheel stop quickly thats too much drag.

Trust me i dont think it any of those things. I just took brakes Class in college.
It litterally feels like the pads are too thick. And only the fronts are dragging, and i had zero issues on my old pads

Those pads with a stock rotor shouldn't drag, but those pads with the focus rotor upgrade WILL drag.

With the wheel on the wheel should be able to spin for atleast 1/2-3/4 of a turn on its own when you spin it. And did you clean and lube the slide pins when you replaced the brakes? I'm set on it being stuck slide pins.

yes i did. of course. the rotors were extreamly hot that i could barely touch my lug nuts. i know i pushed in my piston as far as possible, and also the brake pedal went extreamly low after the new pads. but i depressed my pedal at least 40-50 times with no change. im thinking its separate problems, air in system, and the rotor pad combo being too thick. i doubt that both pistons could be stuck exactly the same on both sides. and yes again, im 100% my slide pins actually slide

So as it seems my piston wont retract back into the bores, and when i pop the bleeder screw there isnt any pressure so i assume the D rings have worn its own groove in the bore and i just need new calipers.... i think

Back