• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to source shims for FSVT caliper upgrade?

hylix

CEG'er
If using the FSVT calipers and brackets, I understand I'll need a couple shims to center the rotor in the caliper. Where are you guys getting these shims?
Are these the correct dimensions for the shims/washers/spacers?:
ID-12mm OD-25mm T-2.2~3mm (ID-31/64", OD-1", T-~3/32")

Why I want to use FSVT calipers:
I had a front caliper seize on my '00 SE. I figure I may as well replace the calipers and brackets with the FSVT gear (or at least, the CSVT gear).

FSVT Part numbers for front calipers w/bracket:
A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4846
A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4847

CSVT Part numbers for front calipers, w/bracket:
A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4622B
A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4623B

Of course using the FSVT rotors and ceramic pads as well, (or CSVT, if I choose that route).

I don't want to do the warmonger/NPG kit because I need new a caliper(s). If I'm looking to save the cash, I'll just buy a set of CSVT calipers with brackets from rock auto (and proper pads/rotors). and have at least a slight upgrade from stock.

Use the Contour calipers; they have a bigger piston bore for better clamping force, and they slide onto the Focus brackets perfectly. You can use the SVT Focus brake pads on the Contour calipers so they do a full-face sweep of the 300mm rotors.

Sweet. Now I have to buy 2 sets of calipers... D'OH! :crazy:

Will using the Contour calipers eliminate the need for the shims? Seems like I'd still need them.

Still need the shims. I am using focus brackets with csvt calipers. For shims I use 2 ss washers I picked up at tractor supply. Just get some washers an shim it out untill the rotor is centered in the bracket. It's only about 3mm of washers so I don't see a need for a custom spacer. On my rear conversion I had some spacers made up(thanks prt) since they need 10mm of spacing. Make sure you use locktite on the caliper bracket bolts.

Thanks, Solo.

I've ordered both the FSVT calipers w/bracket, and the CSVT calipers with bracket. I also ordered the OE style ceramic FSVT pads, and picked up a set of FSVT rotors from Napa.

I guess I'll have a set of FSVT calipers only for sale, along with a set of CSVT brackets. Would these FSVT calipers be of any use to a contour owner? I'll probably sell those on ebay, and put the CSVT brackets in the classifieds.

oops.. SE to FSVT/CSVT upgrade

oops.. SE to FSVT/CSVT upgrade

UPDATE:

Ooops... I bought the wrong SVT calipers. :eek: For some reason i bought these instead of the Cardone ones:
RAYBESTOS Part # FRC10932
RAYBESTOS Part # FRC10931

They seem to be the E0 style calipers and brackets. They dont fit the FSVT brackets because the slide pins are too far apart. Also the FSVT brake pads don't seem to fit.

I'm just going to use the FSVT gear on the SE. I'll save the E0 calipers for replacements for my '99 SVT, and use the warmonger kit to upgrade it. :idea:

Is anyone using the FSVT calipers also? How is pedal feel? I may goto napa and pick up a pair of in-stock calipers to slide into the FSVT brackets if the FSVT calipers suck. :ponder:

Use the Contour calipers; they have a bigger piston bore for better clamping force, and they slide onto the Focus brackets perfectly. You can use the SVT Focus brake pads on the Contour calipers so they do a full-face sweep of the 300mm rotors.

I have never heard of either of these points before. Any prictures?

I have never heard of either of these points before. Any prictures?

A buddy of mine here in Columbus has SVT Focus brackets, Cougar calipers with SVT Focus brake pads in them, and 300mm rotors on his 2001 Cougar. I've seen it in person. The Focus pads drop right in to the CDW-27 calipers, and do a full-face sweep of the rotor. It's beautiful. I'm replacing my Cougar pads with Focus pads as soon as I get around to it.

A guy posted a bunch of photos of the same setup on his Cougar on one of the Cougar Facebook groups (I don't remember which one; there are about a dozen different friggin groups on there...). If I run across it, I'll post a link.

EDIT: It's in the NECO group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/158029774228249/

The post was made on May 29, and prompted a long and informational discussion, with lots of photos.

Looks like my stock SE calipers will fit the FSVT brackets just fine. And the FSVT pads also appear to fit. Too bad my stockers are garbage. I'll be running the full focus gear, until I decide the pedal feel sucks or something else bothers me.

I can try to take some pictures. I have the following brakes sitting in my garage right now: '00SE (same as late CSVT sans bracket), early CSVT, and FSVT.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I run the same setup. Don't know why guys running npg brackets don't use focus svt pads as well. Same principal. Get full sweep of the rotors a Bennett said.

I would have liked to but didn't know that was an option. I have never read about anyone doing that before. I would have liked to do that. If I ever need front brakes again I'll have to try to remember this one.

Back