• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Caliper problem with e-brake levers

Help,

I have a 99 stique and I have no ebrake tension. The cables are new and were installed by a shop while my brother had the car out of town...

The issue is that I have no ebrake tension with the handle pulled. I checked the cables, they are new. What I did notice is that at least on the driver side, the caliper mechanism shaped like an upside down U where the ebrake cable attaches is pulled all the way to the front of the car...

I finally tore down the caliper (ebrake section of it) and see that there is a little wedge that fits into a groove in the shaft of the U handle. it also fits into the spline bolt that will push in the piston mechanically..

This little wedge has popped out, and sits flat between the shaft and the spline bolt. I can see that this U shaft is not supposed to rotate more than 45 degrees, and if it does it pops out. I know this 'cause I went to a parts stores and over rotated one and the wedge popped out... needless to say I got another one...

I can (with great effort) get the wedge into place correctly, what I want to know is how do I prevent from over pulling the ebrake to keep the U mechanism from over rotating and popping the wedge out of place...

Thanks in advance... please help me!!!

Peter

Back