• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Abs buzz

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
When I first start my can I hear a buzz only after the car moves. I have to roll 1-5mph before it makes the noise and only does it one time everytime the car is started. It will also do it when I lock up the brakes and get the abs to actually kick on but it seems to me that's the ABS locks up easier. And I have no abs light I did have it come on once but once I drove the car 1-5mph it shut off and hasn't done it since. I also believe that my brake booster is bad if this gives any more info.

Note: The ABS doesn't do a self test until you start moving after starting the car. "Once per trip" and "about 5mph" You probably never noticed it before and think the brakes are acting up. Or your brakes are acting up and this is the first thing you noticed. NOMINAL condition.

As indicated the abs does a self-test at about 5 mph the first time the car starts moving after being started. Often it isn't noticable, sometimes it is. Its completely normal, imho.

I would make sure the tone rings are clean and double check the wiring.

If you go the route of doing away with abs you don't have to fully remove the system, you just have to disable it by unplugging a wheel speed sensor. Then you don't have to go through unplugging the system and flushing the lines. This will pit an abs light up but you can just remove that.

If I remove the ABS I'll do it the proper way IE remove the pump and all the lines and replace everything with non ABS system lines and master cylinder.

I know you have a 13" front kit. I had noticed the ABS is a little more touchy as well. The buzz or self check I havent heard. Mine is also a 2000 which I assume has a different unit from what your posting.

Did you happen change wheels? A more open design can cause the noise to travel more or having those big pie plates to harmonize will do it too.

Did you happen change wheels? A more open design can cause the noise to travel more or having those big pie plates to harmonize will do it too.

...but the buzz comes from the ABS module - under the hood - dunnit? Wouldn't have anything to do with the wheels...

I thought he meant the crunching until I could finally hear his video. It probably does come from the module. I actually never heard the self check in person.

It's really not a crunch it's a very loud buzzing like the pressure is making a whistling noise when going through the pump.

My abs makes a buzzing sound, light on. But my rear sensors are not aligned or bolted in properly so i think that's it in my case.

Back