• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brakes

front? rear? disk? drum?

Changing the brakes on a Contour isn't much different, if at all from most other cars. So what are you asking?

Remove wheel, unbolt caliper carrier, pull caliper off rotor, remove rotor, replace with new rotor, spread pads if necessary (most likely), re-install caliper/carrier, reinstall wheel.

That's the simplified version. If nothing else hop on autozone.com and use their repair guides.

My book says: Take the wheels off, take the big nut off, take the disc brake unit off (two bolts) but be careful not to damage the brake hoses. Put the new rotors on, then the brake unit, the wheels and let 'er off the jack stands.
warren

The only reason you would have to take "the big nut" (which I'm assuming is the bearing retaining nut) off is if you have tapered roller bearing which the contour does not have. Just listen to SkullV that's exactly how you do it. Not sure what book your using but you should proly stop using it.

Do the back disc caliper pistons push in or turn (spin) in? Big thing there if not ready for it. I sold plenty of parts to people who insisted on pushing in a turning piston. New caliper time there.

The rear caliper piston has to be turn back into the caliper body. This is due to the parking brake mechanism.

Remove wheel, unbolt caliper carrier, pull caliper off rotor, remove rotor, replace with new rotor, spread pads if necessary (most likely), re-install caliper/carrier, reinstall wheel.

That's the simplified version. If nothing else hop on autozone.com and use their repair guides.

Thes instructions are for the front brakes. And the only thing I would suggest is removing the caliper from the bracket first. The slide pins normally and should be cleaned and greased when reinstalled.

The rear brakes the caliper is on a pivot bolt, so one doesn't have to remove the caliper from the bracket, just take them off together. And watch the rear bolts, they strip out easily.

Back