• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

opinions wanted drum to disc rears

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
I have acquired rear disc's from a 96 LX / 2.5, and plan on replacing my rear drums.

The parts so far:
rear park brake cables
rear hubs and knuckles
rear rotors
rear calipers

In looking at some previous posts on this project there was discussion on restrictor valves. Do these need to be changes also and if so whare are they located.

I should add that the donor car had ABS, my 95 /2.0 does not, so if there is a different restrictor valve(s) needed I'd guess that I'll have to find it someplace else. If that is the case would a couger be a donor for them?

Next question is there any difference between 2.5 & 2.0 front brakes (other than SVT's of course) ?

Thanks for your input

One later models, the restrictor valves were near the rear wheels, where the steel line connects to the rubber flex line. I think on some of the older ones they were attached to the master cylinder. They were the same for disc or drum, but were different ABS to non ABS. Use whatever you have on the car now.

There used to be a pinned post on the old forum about the rear disc conversion. I don't know if it got transferred to the new forums, but you might go to the old ones and see what you can find. It was extremely well detailed. The only thing I disagreed with from the original write up is that he deleted the restrictor valves and that is not a good idea. A later post on that thread discussed that.

The front disc brakes are the same for either engine. That said, the SVT front brakes are also a wonderful upgrade. It is easily done. Find the caliper brackets either from a late SVT or from a V6 99 or newer Cougar (look carefully as I understnd their may have been a very few Cougar V6 with the little front brakes.) Your calipers and pads are the same as the late SVT type, so all you need is the caliper brackets and rotors.

Well I have started prep on the rear knuckles. I am using a hammered finish paint that has superior rust protection. I have used it on other things always with good results. Here are some before & after shots.

Attachments

• B&A rear nuckles 1.jpg
    B&A rear nuckles 1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • B&A rear nuckles 2.jpg
    B&A rear nuckles 2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
But didn't I read, where you need 16" rims to use those larger brakes?

No, the factory 15" wheels will fit over SVT front brakes. The spare tire won't though, so in the event of a front flat you will need to put the spare on the rear and move a rear to the front. Another option is to search for spare when you search for the brackets.

With 16" wheels, the larger (300mm) Focus SVT rotors fit. I know, I have them on my car.

That is something to think about. I'll have to keep and eye out for them.

So do you happen to know what size the standard ones are? And why do you think they would put just larger rotors and keep the same size pads? One would think they'd give you more grab area too.

All you need is the rotors and the caliper brackets from a late SVT or Cougar V6. Make sure the cougar has the large brakes as a few with the V6 may have been built with the smaller ones.

The front grow from 260mm to 278mm.

You keep your existing front calipers. You also keep those pads. The late SVT and Cougar V6 use the same calipers and pads that you do. Only the early SVT had larger calipers and pads with their unique brackets.

It is a very worthy upgrade.

Thanks Big Jim, I'll Keep all that in mind when I'm at the JY. That is some good info. A lot of people just think about going and forget about the other half of the equation STOPPING. ;)

Back