• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cobra setup questions

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
Ok I've 1 possibly two questions regarding the setup. I've already got hawk hps pads and 13in rotors and I have the caliper adapters and calipers on the way. My main question is about the banjo bolt I read that the thread size and pitch are the same between the two calipers (stock and cobra) can any one verify this for me? I had this setup on my SHO and loved it on a 3500lbs car can't imagine it on a 2900-3000lbs one lol.

Ok I have done some research on the Stang forums and parts searches online. For anyone else needing to know the info stock SVT calipers are M10-1.0 thread pitch the Cobra's 10th anny are M10-1.5 now all other Mach 1 and Cobra's with these brakes are M10-1.0 SAME THREAD PITCH just order the right calipers and your will be fine.

I will post up after I get them on the car to let everyone know how they work and how the banjo bolts go.

If you meant the 10th anniversary calipers, than they can be used if you can find the correct banjos (less than $15 online). More importantly if you are using the adapter bracket made by Rara in the group buy, you may need to cut down the circular "spacer" portions of bracket as they were much to wide for the install of my 10th anniversary calipers. This may or may not be the same for the regular Cobra calipers.

Thanks for the info idk if they are RARA's I bought them off of texican the ones he had forsale. I'm trying to stay away from the 10th anniversary calipers anyway as I don't want to have to worry about banjo bolts. lol

If you meant the 10th anniversary calipers, than they can be used if you can find the correct banjos (less than $15 online). More importantly if you are using the adapter bracket made by Rara in the group buy, you may need to cut down the circular "spacer" portions of bracket as they were much to wide for the install of my 10th anniversary calipers. This may or may not be the same for the regular Cobra calipers.

Can you elaborate on th fitting problems with the bracket? I am also trying to piece this kit together and I have heard of other people having problems with fitting. Couldn't you have space off the bracket from the hub?

Ok I'm needing some help here. As you said they were much to wide I'm needing help getting a picture of this setup on a car caliper and bracket bolted to the vehicle. Also I forgot our cars didn't have banjo bolts the line threads just thread straight into the caliper (maybe a early 98 thing?) What do I need to do about lines? Where or who can I get non 10th anny cailpers and brackets from? Lastly where do I get hub bore adapters? I looked at raras thread and his links have gone stale.

Hub rings can come direct from Baer. They are the same they use on their track kit.

Did you follow these steps?

The smaller threaded holes are what mate up to the knuckle. The bracket goes behind the tabs of the knuckle that the original caliper bolted to. Run the bolts from the outside through the knuckle tabs and into the threaded holes of the bracket. Not that there will be a little grinding required on the top of the knuckle for clearance to the bracket. Don't go crazy, it shouldn't take much.
The bosses on the bracket should extend outward, away from the center of the car, and the narrow end of the bracket should be higher than the wide end.
Put the rotor on (after drilling for 4x108, and using a centering ring) and then put the caliper on. The caliper should fit to the outboard side of the large bosses, and the bolts should be run in from the backside, through the bracket, and into the threaded holes on the caliper.

As for the lines, you can get an adapter to connect the stock line or buy a braided lines for a mustang, correct banjo bolts and use an adapters to the contour hard line if it is needed. I planned on using mustang lines and adapter. I cut hard lines off a car at the jy so I could figure that out.

Follow the directions from above and let us know. I was told that these were fitted by rara with a rotor. He also supplied me with the directions above.

Do they not fit? Or are you preparing yourself?

Someone on here stated that they had take material off the bosses, the part where the caliper attaches. I thought you could possibly space the brackets off the knuckle and achieve the same results. Your kinda a pioneer with the brackets. Please share info and pictures and we will try to come up with a solution.

Have you talked with rara? You can try his email that's in his sig if pm's don't work.

I had to put 3 12mm washer on each spindle to caliper bolts you will need longer bolts. I had to file both the spindle and Rara's bracket for it to work.

Here are some pix of the setup installed.

9e3dd727.jpg

efac357e.jpg

I don't have any pix with the wheel off yet.

Looks good, I would love to see how you made the bracket work. Sounds like it's spaced off the knuckle 36mm. Is that correct?

Also where did you get the pbr branded calipers? I really like them!

No 36MM no the washers are 12mm washers as in the diamiter the width of them 3 washers together (how many I had to use per bolt) if you add it all together its 7.5MM's and that makes it fit perfect.

I wish I knew too. I bought a set from Carquest and this is how one of them came it looks sick I wish I knew where I could get another one.

I have an annoyingly light clunk every time I hit the brakes I know exactly whats causing it but not how to fix it my taurus with this setup never did this I don't know why it's doing it on this car :/. Basically the pin that holds the caliper in as well as the little spring clips aren't holding the caliper tight enough so every time I hit the brakes it shifts just a little bit in the bracket causing my light clunk annoying as fook.

Pin location should be on the top along with the bleeder. I was just writing this in my notes. On the SHO forum I read that you need to swap the calipers from the brake brackets to either side in order to achieve this.

The Mustang has the caliper on the back of the hub compared to the front of the Taurus and Contour.

I just order the rest of my stuff and gathering all the info into one doc. If you have any pther notes Ill add them.

Do you recall what size and length bolt you used when spacing off the hub with the washers?

Back