• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Converting Rear Brakes from Drum to Disc

volcar

New CEG'er
I plan to convert the rear drum brakes on my 1996 2.0L LX 'Tour to disc & I being offered a set of 198 SVT Hub, however, I am not sure whether they are suitable for my application. Consequently I am using this medium in order to ascertain whether whether any of you experts can tell me if the 1998 SVT Rear Hub can be adapted to my 1996 2.0L.
All responses will be greatly appreciated.

The following lengthly thread is pinned to the top of the brake forum in the old forums. It should help you greatly.

The short answer to your question is I'm pretty sure that you can make the swap. This thread should help you better understand what all is needed.

As a seperate issue, if the front SVT brakes are available, I would grab them too. You can upgrade to the SVT front rotors keeping your old calipers with just the caliper brackets from a late SVT.

Here is the thread on the rear disc brake coversion:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...459664&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

ya its pretty easy to do, the only difficulties I had with it was disconnecting the brake lines from the restrictor, it was just seezed up.

Back