• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Parking Brake replacement

I've never heard of resetting the ebrake. I've just installed them. It should set automatically. I wouldn't get a junkyard ebrake. The new revised one shouldn't be that much. Would hate to go through the install of another crap cable.

What I'm saying is that first little cable is attatched to the handle. It is supposed to stay attatched.

Now with the reseting, I guess Todras never had to do it, but with my lever assembly I had to. If you look at the assembly, you will see there is not 1 toothed gear but two. The one with the larger teeth is the one that is used when you operate your handle as normal. The noise you hear pulling up...its those teeth. Now there is another gear in there with much smaller teeth. And laying atop this gear is a little switch or lever, that can be pulled up, and the gear can be moved. Basically, it gives you about 2 more inches of play in the line, so that if you connect your lines, then dont have enough slack to put in the 2 bolts to hold the lever down, you need to reset this gear to give ya the extra couple inches.

Now Todras didn't have to, but I did. I know there used to be a little write up with pictures over at fordcontour.org that TH did, might wanna try and find that. (it was from the end of summer I believe)

all ya do is bolt the handle in, make sure handle is all the way down, go under car and pull on the metal bar (EQ) hook up the 2 cables to eq, go back inside vehicle, operate handle like normal a couple times, and presto! the gears in handle automatically take up the slack left behind. DONE!

but for my install...the cable wouldn't reach the equilizer. So I had to reset the handle to get the extra slack to hook it up.

Thanks for the info guys. So there is work to do under the car aswell? I figured it was a matter of unboltint the two bolt removing the wire and connecting the wire and bolting it back in?

Yes, there are 2 cables to connect under the vehicle, that connect to the EQ. your PARKING BRAKE CABLES. What stage of repair are you at right now? Yes, you do have to get under the vehicle! No way in heaven could you perform this job without being under the car, and trying to reatach the wire if you have removed it. No way. Impossible. Handle must be in 1 piece with EQ bar hooked up to HANDLE prior to install. Forget I ever mentioned snipping the wire, I dont think you are grasping the concept.

Last edited:
Back