• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

so has anyone figured out how to...

Nope. Do a touch up.

Agreed. :rolleyes: Just work at it gradually. You're going to end up scratching it no matter what though.

It also helps to have a second pair of hands to hold the top part of the clip in while you work on the bottom section.

Ill tell you exactly how to do it. If your right handed. Put the left side of clip in hole about 1/2 to 3/4 in, NOT ALL THE WAY IN, hook the underside of clip on caliper in postion like it should go, hold the bottom of the clip on the caliper with your middle finger then in your right hand you should have like a needlenose type device at the ready. line up right side grab that lil piece of wire like a man with those needlenose hold right bottom on with thumb of left hand. Now torque that wire into that hole and "pop" it into place. Done. No scratches. Now shake it off.

No. I don't see how that tool would help.

I made a tool by cutting a slot in a screwdriver tip that helps me gain control for both removing and installing the clip. I posted pictures of that long ago.

Wuss. ;) I can get those springs started by hand. Then just tap it in flush with a piece of wood or rubber mallet. I've only hurt the paint once in countless tries. I have had my brakes on and off more times then I'd like to remember. :D

vice grips, just position it near the hole for it and twist the fice grips, itll turn and spread the clip making it go right in. vwala

Ill tell you exactly how to do it. If your right handed. Put the left side of clip in hole about 1/2 to 3/4 in, NOT ALL THE WAY IN, hook the underside of clip on caliper in postion like it should go, hold the bottom of the clip on the caliper with your middle finger then in your right hand you should have like a needlenose type device at the ready. line up right side grab that lil piece of wire like a man with those needlenose hold right bottom on with thumb of left hand. Now torque that wire into that hole and "pop" it into place. Done. No scratches. Now shake it off.

yeah what he said.. only i use dykes, they grip the spring better to avoid that old finger snap

Back