• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lots and lots of questions, already read stuff....

conbon

CEG'er
I have a 1998 Contour SE that has 4 wheel disc brakes. I don't like how they feel/stop now, and I'm sure I won't like how they look once I get bigger wheels, so I'm going to upgrade them.

1) Are the calipers on my car the same as calipers on CSVTs? If not, what is the difference? I thought I read that the rear rotors/calipers are the same on all models (with 4 wheel disc brakes), but that the front calipers/rotors are different, is this correct?

2) What, in your opinion, would be a better option: buy Nautilus brakets (f&r), FSVT front rotors, 4 CSVT front calipers, better pads, stainless lines, and new fluid, or just buy one of the FSVT kits for a focus and use that (don't they require a brakcet or something?)???

3) I believe I used to have ABS....I know I no longer have ABS....I don't want ABS....what to do about this situation? Can i remove the ABS sensor (which i believe is shot) and replace it with whatever is there on cars w/o ABS? What would it take to rid my car of ABS, cause I don't want to fix it.

Thats all for now, I'll probably have more as time goes on.

Thanks, Connor

I have a 1998 Contour SE that has 4 wheel disc brakes. I don't like how they feel/stop now, and I'm sure I won't like how they look once I get bigger wheels, so I'm going to upgrade them.

1) Are the calipers on my car the same as calipers on CSVTs? If not, what is the difference? I thought I read that the rear rotors/calipers are the same on all models (with 4 wheel disc brakes), but that the front calipers/rotors are different, is this correct?

1) Front calipers for a contour are made up of two main pieces, the main caliper body, and the bracket, also called an anchor bracket or carrier bracket. Standard contour front calipers (that come with the 260mm rotor) are similar to the later CSVT calipers (as used with the 278mm rotor). The main caliper body is the same, but the anchor bracket is of different dimension to allow for the larger rotor. The early CSVT calipers are different both in main caliper body, and in anchor bracket. These are often referred to as "E0" calipers, though the split didn't occur exactly with the rest of the E0/E1 changes to the car.

2) What, in your opinion, would be a better option: buy Nautilus brakets (f&r), FSVT front rotors, 4 CSVT front calipers, better pads, stainless lines, and new fluid, or just buy one of the FSVT kits for a focus and use that (don't they require a brakcet or something?)???

2) In your case, buy the set of FSVT calipers and rotors. You will need spacers approx 3mm thick, and the appropriate bolts to make up the difference in length (do a search, I believe Shaggy identified the appropriate bolt awhile back). I highly recommend using hardened steel washers for the spacers in order to avoid the potential for loosening up the bolts.

You may also wish to check w/ Nautilus to see if they will make a bracket kit for a std contour caliper to fit the FSVT rotor. I believe they talked about it at one point, but I don't know if they ever offered it. If they do that, you would simply need the bracket kit, and some FSVT rotors; plus if you wanted new pads and lines.

3) I believe I used to have ABS....I know I no longer have ABS....I don't want ABS....what to do about this situation? Can i remove the ABS sensor (which i believe is shot) and replace it with whatever is there on cars w/o ABS? What would it take to rid my car of ABS, cause I don't want to fix it.

3) Go buy a car that didn't come with ABS then.
First I would figure out if your car came with ABS or not in the first place. This is really easy to figure out. Check the wheel hubs for abs sensors, or look under the brake booster for the ABS module. There are many many ways to check it easily. Second, I would reconsider your position on wanting ABS. There are few circumstances where even a very skilled driver can outbrake a properly functioning ABS system. Even fewer of these circumstances are you ever likely to encounter driving on the street, and even fewer than that in a panic situation where you need the ABS the most.
To correctly remove ABS from a car, you will basically need to swap over the entire brake system from a non-ABS car, including lines, prop valves, limiter valves, master cylinder, etc etc. In some cases you can shortcut and not swap certain parts that are identical between the two, but you need to know that they are exactly the same and not just "similar looking".
And even after all that, you would need to suck it up and deal with the glaring ABS fault warning light on the dash, unless you want to swap out processors, and wiring harnesses as well.
My advice is to fix the ABS, its generally pretty easy, and cheap. (unless you try to source a replacement module from the dealer, which I don't suggest for these cars)

1) Front calipers for a contour are made up of two main pieces, the main caliper body, and the bracket, also called an anchor bracket or carrier bracket. Standard contour front calipers (that come with the 260mm rotor) are similar to the later CSVT calipers (as used with the 278mm rotor). The main caliper body is the same, but the anchor bracket is of different dimension to allow for the larger rotor. The early CSVT calipers are different both in main caliper body, and in anchor bracket. These are often referred to as "E0" calipers, though the split didn't occur exactly with the rest of the E0/E1 changes to the car.

2) In your case, buy the set of FSVT calipers and rotors. You will need spacers approx 3mm thick, and the appropriate bolts to make up the difference in length (do a search, I believe Shaggy identified the appropriate bolt awhile back). I highly recommend using hardened steel washers for the spacers in order to avoid the potential for loosening up the bolts.

You may also wish to check w/ Nautilus to see if they will make a bracket kit for a std contour caliper to fit the FSVT rotor. I believe they talked about it at one point, but I don't know if they ever offered it. If they do that, you would simply need the bracket kit, and some FSVT rotors; plus if you wanted new pads and lines.

3) Go buy a car that didn't come with ABS then.
First I would figure out if your car came with ABS or not in the first place. This is really easy to figure out. Check the wheel hubs for abs sensors, or look under the brake booster for the ABS module. There are many many ways to check it easily. Second, I would reconsider your position on wanting ABS. There are few circumstances where even a very skilled driver can outbrake a properly functioning ABS system. Even fewer of these circumstances are you ever likely to encounter driving on the street, and even fewer than that in a panic situation where you need the ABS the most.
To correctly remove ABS from a car, you will basically need to swap over the entire brake system from a non-ABS car, including lines, prop valves, limiter valves, master cylinder, etc etc. In some cases you can shortcut and not swap certain parts that are identical between the two, but you need to know that they are exactly the same and not just "similar looking".
And even after all that, you would need to suck it up and deal with the glaring ABS fault warning light on the dash, unless you want to swap out processors, and wiring harnesses as well.
My advice is to fix the ABS, its generally pretty easy, and cheap. (unless you try to source a replacement module from the dealer, which I don't suggest for these cars)

For some reason my SE zetec is retarded....it had 4 wheels disc brakes but it doesn't have SE side skirts...its a confusing car.

Okay, so I have the same calipers as e1 CSVTs, just different brackets and rotors. In that case I'll probably end up buying the Nautilus brackets and some 300mm FSVT rotors, then performance pads and SS lines, instead of buying a whole FSVT kit and hoping i get brackets.

I'll probably just deal with the ABS not working for now. I know I used to ahve it, and I know it doesn't work now.

Okay, so I have the same calipers as e1 CSVTs, just different brackets and rotors. In that case I'll probably end up buying the Nautilus brackets and some 300mm FSVT rotors, then performance pads and SS lines, instead of buying a whole FSVT kit and hoping i get brackets.

you can't. the NPG kit only works if you have the SVT caliper brackets. So to use the NPG kit you need to get the SVT caliper brackets. If you buy FSVT front calipers I believe they come with the bracket and then you can just from the 260 to 300 mm front rotors.

I've heard of some people who bought the FSVT kit not getting brakets with it, and those are really hard to source out because nobody sells them and you have to find them used or at a JY....

I've heard of some people who bought the FSVT kit not getting brakets with it, and those are really hard to source out because nobody sells them and you have to find them used or at a JY....

not sure. just find someone parting out a SVT or a sport package cougar and get the caliper brackets. then you can use the NPG front brake kit. This is what I did as I had previously already upgraded to SVT front brakes on my SE.

I heard from a friend that there are 2 SVT Contours and 1 SVT Focus in the junkyard around me, I'll have to talk to him and figure out which ones and I'll go see what i can source out locally. I think I'm going to do my calipers/SVT brackets/Nautilus brackets/300mm rotors/SS lines/HP pads.

Another question, what would be good pads to use? I've seen a lot about Mintex pads, never really looked into them though. Are these basically the best pads for e1 calipers, or are there otehr ones that would work better. This will be my DD, so all out race pads aren't needed, but i don't mind changin them a couple times a eyar if it means better braking year round. Also, what are the options out there for SS lines? I thought I saw some on BAT, any otehr options?

Thanks, Connor

can't asnwer on the brake pads. I am using bendix titanium II pads up front and stock in the rear.

as for brake lines you can get a set from goodrich, g-stop I believe is the line. I just installed a set and it was a direct fit. Just note some have had issues with the rear lines not matching because of the fitting on the end of the brake line, seems there was a change over from female to mail fittings, either way check what is on your car first. some have ordered from tirerack and they should have it straight by now.

Haha, bendix is what i was thinking of...idk where ig got mintex from. How do you like the bendix pads?

I'm just going to start with front for now, since that's where most of the braking bias is anyways, i'll probably do the same to the rear so i can use CSVT rotors in the rear once my budget has recovered from this endevor...

Back