• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SS lines using Cobra/PBR calipers

biminiLX

Hard-core CEG'er
Was going to post this in the GB section from Rara's 13" Cobra brake GB but its locked.
Anyway, I'll be doing this in the next few weeks and want to know which SS lines to buy.
So far my thoughts:
1) use the Contour specific lines, may need an adapter at caliper
2) use Cobra specific lines, may need adapter at chassis line
3) call Baer and see if the sell lines---Cobra and Baer calipers are both similar PBR dual piston
What do you guys think?
Does the Baer kit come with SS lines or what are the Baer brake guys using?
Thanks, J

Get the SS lines from Baer.

The goodwrench lines need to bottom out in the caliper like a OEM line does. Baer calipers threaded hole for the line does not bottom out, it is drilled and tapped all the way to the inside of the caliper. Cobra calipers are the same, that is why they use a banjo bolt with crush washers and the cobra brake line ends with the Baer kit.

i bought my SS lines from Baer and was surprised how cheap they were. i dont remember the exact price off hand, but it was considerably less than what i thought

Called Baer and ordered a set.
PN# 6800074 for SS lines and full kit to use in Contour chassis $105
They also have just lines cheaper.
-J

J, Sorry I didn't chime in sooner, but the Baer lines are probably the best way to go anyway. The banjo bolt setup will give you the most flexibility, especially if you decide to step up to Cobra R calipers in the future. Then you just need the new banjo bolts instead of completely new lines.

I doubt the hub rings thats for the rotors.
The kit is the SS lines, banjo bolt/washer/crush sleeve and line adapters for the Contour chassis line. Basically all you need to connect a Cobra/Baer/PBR caliper to a Contour stock line.
Rara---do the brackets bolt on with factory hardware or do I need something different (longer)?
-J

I doubt the hub rings thats for the rotors.
The kit is the SS lines, banjo bolt/washer/crush sleeve and line adapters for the Contour chassis line. Basically all you need to connect a Cobra/Baer/PBR caliper to a Contour stock line.
Rara---do the brackets bolt on with factory hardware or do I need something different (longer)?
-J

Definately longer. I believe around 45mm long bolts would do it. Check the original group buy thread, I think I mentioned a size that should work in there. Well, that's for the caliper to the bracket, the bracket to the knuckle, the original bolts should work ok. I'd use blue loctite, and be sure not to overtorque the bracket to knuckle bolts. Stripping the threads on the aluminum bracket would suck. Send me a PM if you need my cell # for whenever you finally go to install them.

Thanks Brian.
I reread the thread and you mentioned hardware but nothing specific.
I was assuming what you said above but any more specifics for the bracket to caliper bolts would be good.
Would the stock Cobra caliper bolts work?
I'm sure I can figure it out, used to stuff like this from the Mustang.
Thanks for the offer on the number, I may use that.
Unfortunately my work schedule and a few family events may interfere with me helping on most of this. I just dropped the car off to my good friend---certified Audi/MB tech and a Cobra owner too. One of the few I trust my rides to, especially for a custom job like this. Bummed I can't do it myself and take pics, but he might take pics for us.
Also, you did mention in the GB thread about shving a little off the knuckle?
Anymore notes/tips from the mock-up?
Thanks, J

Back