• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wrong rotors.

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
i went to autozone to buy rotors. he brought up the svt rotors and i got the duralast ones. bring them home start changing everything and i notice first there is no way my new pads will fit around the new rotor. then i look at the old and the new and notice one is a lil smaller. he ended up giving me the 260mm ones and not 278mm. i just looked on autozone site and when you put everything in for the 2.5 DOHC 98 contour it brings up only 260mm rotors. do i have to order 278 of the internet or something?

You're doing something wrong. I just checked Autozone.com and the correct Duralast rotors are listed. Part #54062

Sounds like the wrong engine was chosen. You must choose the HO engine.

what he said. there are 2 2.5 options, select the HO one, which online says makes up about 5% of the cars.

i went to autozone to buy rotors. he brought up the svt rotors and i got the duralast ones. bring them home start changing everything and i notice first there is no way my new pads will fit around the new rotor. then i look at the old and the new and notice one is a lil smaller. he ended up giving me the 260mm ones and not 278mm. i just looked on autozone site and when you put everything in for the 2.5 DOHC 98 contour it brings up only 260mm rotors. do i have to order 278 of the internet or something?

this is why I don't plan to buy rotors right from the store lol, they might end up giving me the normal non SVT front rotors lol

While you are at it, confirm that you got the correct pads too. You could have the E0 style (different from everything else) or the non SVT type (same as everything except E0 SVT).

Compare the new pads to what is on the car.

No, they are not all the same. I have an E0 SVT that takes the different pads, and the non SVT pads simply will not fit.

I'm glad you got the right parts.

i believe all 98 svt pads are the same. those ones on your e0 stayed till early 99 i believe.

i believe all 98 svt pads are the same. those ones on your e0 stayed till early 99 i believe.

It has been a few years but this was a topic covered with a survey of build dates and what brakes people actually had. It is clear that the catalog published date (5/99 IIRC) is absolutely wrong. The actual date may have corresponded with the E0 to E1 revision with a few trickling past over the next few months.

If you have an E1 or an early 99 you really should confirm exactly which calipers you have or you may end up with the wrong pads. BAT has a reasonable discussion on this topic along with illustrations. www.batinc.net

Back