• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

brake proportioning uneven left to right

bxd20

CEG'er
I was at Mid Ohio a couple weekends ago and noticed that during extremely heavy braking the car had a tendency to pull just a hair, at least initially, then it would brake straight.

I believe the brakes are therefore operating unevenly side to side, just a hair. You don't notice during normal driving. You also don't notice at "full ABS" - my theory would be that each wheel is braking as hard as possible and ABS is keeping them all even. Whereas at 80% of a full panic stop, some wheels are probably at 85% of lockup and maybe another one is 80%??

When I got back to the "garage" I used my infrared thermometer to compare rotor temps and found a noticeable difference between front passenger and front driver rotors. Something like 300 F vs 360 F.

Since then I've also checked the rotors after normal street driving, and the difference is less but still there.

I also seem to have an imbalance from side to side on the rear.

I always do a thorough brake job, so I am sure the calipers and slides are clean and well lubed.

Is this bias problem due to the calipers, or by some brake proportioning valve? Do we have a valve? Would I have to remove the steel line from each caliper and check pressure coming through the hose to be sure?

is the temperature imbalance between diagonal pairs or on same side of the car, one side to the other ...G.

I will have to check the car again to see if it's diagonal, or, on the same side of the car.

The LCAs are about 2 years old. I could see that making the car rotate on hard braking but that wouldn't explain the rotor temp differences.

Yah, it might explain the rotating but not the rotor temp..... Only 2 yrs old, they are definetly good yet.... :shrug:

Higher temp rotor probably just has more drag on it. Clean and lube all the guides and slides.

Could also be some rotor runout that's causing more pad knock-back on one side than the other. This would cause initial brake application to be uneven side-to-side.

Back