• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Are these good rotors?

Hehe, I can't wait to see you get smacked down for this one, lol. I'm not even gonna do it. I'm gonna let someone else that knows even more about brakes than I do have the honor, lol.

Oh please, elaborate further on this gem.

A smack down? Dont think so.

What I'm saying is not every car that comes with Brembo upgrade brakes is actually using a top quality Italian Brembo factory product like it was out of a catalog. Sometimes its a Brembo licensed product so the rotor or caliper are made by the oem supplier but with a different design and size. The Sentra parts that I initially responded about are known for this as are some of the bits that Dodge/Chrysler put on some vehicles. Even the Brembo rotors I loved on my Mazdas were made for Brembo by Zimmerman in Germany if you looked hard enough at the tag and rotor.

A smack down? Dont think so.

What I'm saying is not every car that comes with Brembo upgrade brakes is actually using a top quality Italian Brembo factory product like it was out of a catalog. Sometimes its a Brembo licensed product so the rotor or caliper are made by the oem supplier but with a different design and size. The Sentra parts that I initially responded about are known for this as are some of the bits that Dodge/Chrysler put on some vehicles. Even the Brembo rotors I loved on my Mazdas were made for Brembo by Zimmerman in Germany if you looked hard enough at the tag and rotor.

Pure and utter BS. Any OE produced vehicle bearing Brembo brakes from the factory are produced 100% by Brembo. Period. The calipers are cast in the Brembo aluminum foundry in Mapello, IT and machined/assembled in the Brembo factory in Curno, IT. I know, because I work for Brembo in the OE caliper division doing brake development. I have personally toured those factories half a dozen times each. We do not "license" the Brembo name for OE calipers.

In the case of rotors, you are also wrong. While not 100% of our OE rotors come from the Mapello, IT iron foundry, they are poured in Brembo owned foundries in other locations. Where your logic goes awry is in cases like Dodge/Chrysler. I assume you are speaking about the SRT programs at Chrysler group (SRT8, Viper). Brembo produces only the caliper for those programs, not the rotors. The exception is the SRT8 Cherokee, which originally had Hayes-Lemerz rotors, up until the point that Brembo purchased the Brake Disc division of Hayes-Lemerz in the fall of 2007. If you are refering to Chrysler base programs (non-SRT), the only parts not poured by Brembo are again legacy programs picked up through the acquisition of Hayes-Lemerz. This is compounded when magazines refer to any Brembo caliper equipped vehicle as having "Brembo Brakes" when reality is its only the caliper. This happens often (SRT, Cobalt SS, Nissan Sentra Spec-V, all Porsche platforms, etc) and it is repeated verbatim by people who do not know better.

The same holds true of all of our High Performance/Gran Turismo kits, as well as Motorcycle, and Racing parts.

If you are referring to aftermarket OE-style replacement parts, then yes, not all are produced by Brembo (such as your Mazda rotors). In those cases we may choose to outsource the production as it is only a "build to print" part and not a true Brembo design.

Last edited:
Pure and utter BS. Any OE produced vehicle bearing Brembo brakes from the factory are produced 100% by Brembo. Period. The calipers are cast in the Brembo aluminum foundry in Mapello, IT and machined/assembled in the Brembo factory in Curno, IT. I know, because I work for Brembo in the OE caliper division doing brake development. I have personally toured those factories half a dozen times each. We do not "license" the Brembo name for OE calipers.

In the case of rotors, you are also wrong. While not 100% of our OE rotors come from the Mapello, IT iron foundry, they are poured in Brembo owned foundries in other locations. Where your logic goes awry is in cases like Dodge/Chrysler. I assume you are speaking about the SRT programs at Chrysler group (SRT8, Viper). Brembo produces only the caliper for those programs, not the rotors. The exception is the SRT8 Cherokee, which originally had Hayes-Lemerz rotors, up until the point that Brembo purchased the Brake Disc division of Hayes-Lemerz in the fall of 2007. If you are refering to Chrysler base programs (non-SRT), the only parts not poured by Brembo are again legacy programs picked up through the acquisition of Hayes-Lemerz. This is compounded when magazines refer to any Brembo caliper equipped vehicle as having "Brembo Brakes" when reality is its only the caliper. This happens often (SRT, Cobalt SS, Nissan Sentra Spec-V, all Porsche platforms, etc) and it is repeated verbatim by people who do not know better.

Glad to hear some first hand knowledge on the topic. My experience (selling and repairing) has only been with some Nissan and Chryler vehicles that came with Hayes manufactured Brembo parts. I was unaware that Hayes had been bought by Brembo so that makes a lot more sense that some would say Brembo and other would say Brembo but be markes Hayes.

There were never any "Hayes manufactured Brembo parts". Keep in mind that Brembo only purchased Hayes-Lemerz Discs in the fall of 2007. Prior to that, they were simply Hayes rotors, without any Brembo connection. As of now, they are simply Brembo, as the Hayes name is gone fromthe brake side. We own their plants and group. Hayes-Lemerz (wheels group) is still limping along (filed Chapter 11 last month).

Back