• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anoher brake question

akaschneider

CEG'er
What in the world is this, it is on my rear brakes. Hoses won't come loose, so debating cutting lower line at edge. The reflanging it with new fitting. But need to find out what this is to replace it.

picture.php

that is the pressure reducer for the rear brakes so that they dont lock up before the fronts. is this on the SVT in your sig? cause i thought only non-ABS cars had the pressure reducers.

yeah it is on my svt. Called ford and they are even confused. Then the nex best thing will be to figure out how to get the brake line disconnected from it. Since the one on the calipers will not budge after 3 days of wd-40 baths.

PB Blaster!:laugh: trust me, once you use that stuff, you wont ever touch WD-40 again.

Keep it away from Rubber and Plastic though....

i'll have to head out and get some. I figured on replacing the brake hose anyway. The fitting is about rusted to the caliper. My little got me new rear calipers from the dealership he works for. Brand new with the carrier bracket for both 110 so I might as well add in the hose to them for a bonus. If I can get the connector free from the pressure reducer.

I know this isn't always the best solution but if worse come's to worse can I use one's of these on the rubber brake line to splice in at least half of a new brake line?

picture.php

I know it isn't the beast possible solution but it is all I can think of. I bought some pb blaster gonna spray today and tonight. And the gonna try to get it off tomorrow. But if it doesn't budge I have to be ready to go to the next step.

picture.php

Splice it at the yellow arrow and replace the lower half to the caliper. I would only have to do it to one side the other side caliper and bracket were left intackt.

Again not the greatest idea

no. the best way to go about this is to remove the hard line from the bottom of the pressure reducer, then you should be able to remove the reducer from the line. if you try to just remove the pressure reducer from the line without first removing the hard line you will twist and break the hard line, guaranteed.

The ABS Contiques, at least the earlier ones, do indeed have pressure reducing valves. They are a different part number than the non ABS cars.

They might have been removed from production sometime in 99 when and if they transitioned to EBD (electronic brake force). With EBD, the reducers would not be needed as this was handled electronically. What I don't know is if Ford did indeed change to EBD with later Contiques.

If the car came with pressure reducers, DON'T REMOVE THEM! You risk having a car with unbalanced front to rear braking. No one enjoys having a car swap ends during hard braking.

Back