• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

can't get air out of the line

andy

New CEG'er
Okay, this is on my Windstar minivan and not a Contour, but I thought the answer can be equally applicable.

It has disc front and drum rears. I had to replace the metering valve which is located under the driver, after the ABS unit, so I had open up the lines. It only feeds the rears. I've bled both rear corners. Air keeps coming out of the right rear in tiny little bubbles. Left rear seems okay. Pedal goes all the way to the floor. Car still stops, but can't get into ABS lock so performance is definitely degraded. I'm doing the manual method. Had the wife press and hold. In every push, there is no air coming out until pedal is almost all the way to the floor, then tiny little bubbles come out and I can see when she's to the floor because the bubble slows down. That's when I close the bleeder screw. All in all, it's probably used up 2 big bottles (32oz bottles) of brake fluid, which is beyond reasonable. Any ideas?

It's a 2000 Windstar with traction control. If bubble is in one of the chambers in the m/c, wouldn't brake performance be more severly degraded since it also feeds the diagonal front? I'm not feeling any pull when braking. I guess it's possible I let the reservoir get too low while bleeding. Not dry, but below the LOW mark. But if the bubble travels up to the m/c, wouldn't it keep going and burp itself out into the reservoir?

If a true metering valve, may have a pin sticking out of unit, some must have pin pulled out to bleed, then release pin once done.

Back