• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E0 Cailper Question

mySVT

New CEG'er
Hey there,

I have been searching for an answer to whether or not the larger E0 SVT Calipers that were desgined for the 278mm rotors will mount up to the E1 SVT brackets, which in my case use the smaller SE pads. My '99 SVT came with the larger 278mm rotors but the smaller SE pads on it and I just purchased the larger E0 calipers to finally make the car's brakes right and I wanted to know if I need to purchase new caliper brackets?

Thanks for looking,

mySVT

The E0 caliper brackets are unique to the E0 calipers. To use E0 calipers you need matching E0 brackets.

That said, there really isn't much advantage to the E0 calipers. There is a disadvantage in that there is not nearly as broad of a selection of brake pads.

Thanks big jim, I was searchin around but I could not find a definitive answer. Do you know of anywhere I could purchase these brackets, other than a dealership?

Thanks big jim, I was searchin around but I could not find a definitive answer. Do you know of anywhere I could purchase these brackets, other than a dealership?

The calipers are typically sold with the brackets attached, all as one unit. Are you sure you don't have the brackets already?

And of course like Jim said, I wouldn't really bother changing the calipers out unless your E1 calipers are no good for some other reason.

One of my front calipers seized up so I figured while I was purchasing two new ones I would just go ahead and put the brakes on that were meant to come with the car. All I got was 2 E0 calipers from Rock Auto. I went back and looked on the website and for about $20 more I guess you can get the caliper with the bracketry included. So, I will probably just send these two back and get the E0's with the brackets. Just sucks to have to ship them back and have all that turn around time. Oh well. The E0 calipers appear to be quite a bit bigger than the E1s on the car; I'm surprised no one is interested in having the "right" parts on their car.

mySVT

Come to think of it I believe the calipers do have the brackets with them. I guess the more important questions are: are the knuckles that the caliper brackets attach to different between the E0's and the E1's, and will the bolts I have on my E1 calipers fit on these E0's? I would like to believe that the knuckles and the bolts have to be the same and that these parts should mount right up.

Here are a few pictures if anyone can confirm my suspicions.

mySVT

Wow the brakes on these cars are confusing! So I basically just found out that due to a listing error on RockAuto I ended up ordering E1 calipers and E0 pads...they don't fit together. So the bottom line I need to know is: If I send these calipers back and order the correct E0's with brackets, will they fit directly on my svt that has the seized E1 calipers on it currently? Otherwise I will keep these E1s and get the right SE pads for them.

Thank you for your help and patience in this rather annoying endeavor.

mySVT

Don't bother with the E0 calipers, stop wasting your effort. The replacement E1's will work just fine, and not any worse than the E0's.

Don't bother with the E0 calipers, stop wasting your effort. The replacement E1's will work just fine, and not any worse than the E0's.
exactly, your not going to notice a significant difference between the E1 caliper and the E0 caliper.

That's fair enough, and ultimately the easier solution. However the question of whether or not the E0s would fit is still unanswered, and I am curious. Does anyone know of anyone who has done this conversion?

mySVT

They will interchange with the correct brackets. Nearly the same thing was a somewhat common upgrade when the SVT was new. People with non SVTs would purchase the SVT E0 (only ones available at the beginning) calipers, brackets, and rotors, and install them on their cars. Some even with the drum rears.

A few even changed the late SVT calipers over to the early ones.

I have driven enough SVTs with both style brakes and believe me, you won't know the difference. I'm not about to switch my E0s for the other style though.

If you really want to do something worthwhile to improve the brakes, get the Warmonger kit and move to the 300 mm Focus SVT front rotors. Get the rear kit too and move your front rotors to the rear.

Back