• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front Brakes Mystique

intravino

CEG'er
Hey Guys,

I have to replace my Rotors on my 96 Mystique Zetec MTX. I have a few questions for you experts:

First, I guess it is better to replace the pads also? I have spare Rabestos pads anyways.

Once, when I got the brakes done a bad garage, the guy told me that they had to replace to caliper because the piston was too outside, how can I tell that piston cannot be pushed back?

That time the pads did not seem to used and the piston didn't look too out.

Thanks,

You want to do pads when you do rotors so that they wear in together. The piston will always push back in. The issue you might run into though is if the piston comes all the way out then it might come past the seal and leak fluid until you rebuild or replace it.

The piston will always push back in.

im going to have to disagree with you. sometimes the piston can freeze up in the caliper. it happened in my sisters subaru and plenty of other cars i have worked on. no matter what tools i used, nothing could push them in. i just replace them. as for the initial question, yes you always want to replace pads when you put new rotors on. they're cheap enough, why not. you don't want to risk premature wear to your brand new rotors.

im going to have to disagree with you. sometimes the piston can freeze up in the caliper. it happened in my sisters subaru and plenty of other cars i have worked on. no matter what tools i used, nothing could push them in. i just replace them. as for the initial question, yes you always want to replace pads when you put new rotors on. they're cheap enough, why not. you don't want to risk premature wear to your brand new rotors.
the proper word is seized ,otherwise yes

im going to have to disagree with you. sometimes the piston can freeze up in the caliper. it happened in my sisters subaru and plenty of other cars i have worked on. no matter what tools i used, nothing could push them in. i just replace them.

True. It can seize up but thats not because it came out "too far".

Thanks guys for your answers.

I think it is going to be ok, last year an other garage check them and they said they where fine and they replaced the rear pads.

Thanks Again,

Thanks guys for your answers.

I think it is going to be ok, last year an other garage check them and they said they where fine and they replaced the rear pads.

Thanks Again,

Yea, best to quietly exit this post thread before they start slapping each other....:laugh:

Back