• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Really bad steerig wheel shake when braking

Damien

CEG'er
Hello,

I get a very bad steering wheel shake when braking at speeds above 40 mph. It shakes the whole dash up and down almost hard enough to knock change out of that little cubby by the steering wheel. I have replaced:

- both front wheel bearings
- both front rotors
- tires
- all front pads
- front sway bar linkages
- both front LCA's
- both front ball joints

All to no avail. It is annoying to say the least and I am guessing maybe a little unsafe...

Anyone have any ideas? tie rods maybe? If so how difficult are they to change?

Thanks,
Damien

Check to make sure you don't have an out-of-balance or out-of-round tire. Both of those conditions would contribute to your described situation, especially the out-of-round tire, and yes, they do come from the manufacturer like that occasionally.

Check to make sure you don't have an out-of-balance or out-of-round tire. Both of those conditions would contribute to your described situation, especially the out-of-round tire, and yes, they do come from the manufacturer like that occasionally.

his problem happens while braking. i had a similar situation with a jetta once. the pads were really low and the rotors were glazed pretty bad. i replaced them, and the problem was still there. upon further inspection, one bolt was missing from the subframe and the floor of the car was cracked. i could put a prybar on the subframe and move it a good 4 inches from side to side. we had an inspector come in and the car was deemed totalled. i'm, not saying that this is what your problem is, but you really narrowed things down after you said you replaced the brakes

edit: i just re-read your post(Damien). how are the rear brakes? sometimes the vibration may seem like its coming from the front, but is really coming from the back.

dont assume its tie rods. get the car up in the air and shake the front wheels left to right. if theres play, you have a tie rod issue.

Hey Damien; did you try the method in the article ? I did. I cleaned the rotors with a wire wheel. I scrubbed off all marks and shamfered all holes. I also cleaned all mating surfaces. I de- glazed the pads and shamfered the leading edges. I took the car out and did 5 or 6 85 - 40mph slows. The pedal went very mushy once...so i let off early cos the brakes probably got too hot. I then did 3 *** - 50 mph slows. I finished off with two 80- 50mph slows and then backed right off and drove home slowly being gentle on the brakes. Phew... can definately smell brakes.... BUT.... i felt no vibration at all. Really pleased with the results.... just gonna bleed the brakes tomorrow just in case i boiled the fluid. Let us know if you do it.... definately worth a try.... G. note to self. must remember not to sit at junctions and red lights with my foot on the brakes... especially after hard braking.

quick update. been driving for few days now.... brakes are true and solid, no vibration has returned. Seems in my case at least; the guy was right, the discs aren't warped. Looks like having your discs re-surfaced is actually taking off excess uneven pad material deposits and not removing any warp. Didn't have to take them anywhere either.... just needed a wire brush wheel. BTW, i have 300mm OEM Ford brakes... G.

Hello,

I get a very bad steering wheel shake when braking at speeds above 40 mph. It shakes the whole dash up and down almost hard enough to knock change out of that little cubby by the steering wheel. I have replaced:

- both front wheel bearings
- both front rotors
- tires
- all front pads
- front sway bar linkages
- both front LCA's
- both front ball joints

All to no avail. It is annoying to say the least and I am guessing maybe a little unsafe...

Anyone have any ideas? tie rods maybe? If so how difficult are they to change?

Thanks,
Damien

If it only does it when braking (stops when you let off) then it's the brakes. Maybe you have a caliper that is sticking so it warped the rotor immediately. Pull the brakes apart and bring the rotors to a shop to have them check to see if they are still flat.

Back