• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E-brake woes

yep, got mine from Ford as well. Kit comes with 2 rear cables and 2 return springs. ~$66 IIRC

Where are you guys getting these R&L side Ebrake cable kits from Ford at for these prices??? I have a family member who works in the service department at a Ford dealer and I just ordered the 2 rear cables & they don't come in a set and are $130 total for R&L side cables.

Q... While I'm at it (replacing both side cables, wouldnt it be smart to go ahead & replace the handle cable??? Having the work done on Wed at the dealer & the tech is replacing both side cables for $60 labor.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Where are you guys getting these R&L side Ebrake cable kits from Ford at for these prices??? I have a family member who works in the service department at a Ford dealer and I just ordered the 2 rear cables & they don't come in a set and are $130 total for R&L side cables.

Q... While I'm at it (replacing both side cables, wouldnt it be smart to go ahead & replace the handle cable??? Having the work done on Wed at the dealer & the tech is replacing both side cables for $60 labor.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I got mine kit from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford when he still worked in the parts department. IIRC there is a part number for the kit.

Edit: part number posted by Bill J in this thread.

F6RZ-2A635-AA

Try rockauto.com $28-$40 depending on which brand. BTW both left and right are the same part.

word of warning.

many have had those cables fail with-in a year of install. many do not have the boots on the cable ends that the Ford parts do. imho, this is one of the times its worth spending the extra to get the ford parts.

I got mine kit from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford when he still worked in the parts department. IIRC there is a part number for the kit.

Edit: part number posted by Bill J in this thread.

F6RZ-2A635-AA

Thanks for the tip... So can you still get the kit from Team Ford for that price? Happen to know the contact info for Team Ford? Just trying to save some $ and I appreciate it.
EDIT-Just called Team Ford & they don't have any kits nor can they even get either cable. So much for saving some $. I'm paying $133 for both cables but at least I can get them I guess?

I'm only using ford ebrake cables, I've read through some of the threads about the cheaper ones not lasting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip... So can you still get the kit from Team Ford for that price? Happen to know the contact info for Team Ford? Just trying to save some $ and I appreciate it.
EDIT-Just called Team Ford & they don't have any kits nor can they even get either cable. So much for saving some $. I'm paying $133 for both cables but at least I can get them I guess?

I'm only using ford ebrake cables, I've read through some of the threads about the cheaper ones not lasting.

Thanks for the info! I ended up having all 3 cables replaced with NAPA cables bc Ford can't get them anymore, unless they have them in stock. The tech who replaced them said they are identical (same part # as OEM & identical in every way as far as the way the NAPA cables are manufactured).

so there are no conclusions regarding the handle cable. not the rear piece? also, i dont see how these heatshields come off. theyre threaded downward. it looks like they would absolutely have to come off to get the cable thru.

Anyone have a clue where I could find the equalizer and handle cable? The drivers side cable slipped off and I guess pulled a larger hole in the equalizer and the only way I'm able to hold it on is warping the whole equalizer. I rather have the whole thing replaced.

This thread is more about replacing the cable than adjusting it, but can anyone tell me how to adjust it? Mine is dragging when i drive

They are supposed to be self adjusting. If one side is dragging either the cable is rusty and not releasing or the caliper its self is sticking and should be rebuilt or replaced.

Anyone have a clue where I could find the equalizer and handle cable? The drivers side cable slipped off and I guess pulled a larger hole in the equalizer and the only way I'm able to hold it on is warping the whole equalizer. I rather have the whole thing replaced.

Either a junk yard or a Ford dealer.

Could a faulty cable cause some kick back in my brake pedal? It seems like every now an then I can hear a noise coming from around there and I feel my brake pedal kick and move. I've replaced front rotors & pads. Rear shoes and wheel cylinder. I thought by replacing the cylinder this would help, but it didn't. It still happens occasionally. After I had a guy help me install the wheel cylinder he said, "Don't use your parking brake, looks like the cable is bad". I'm supposed to bring it back to him. Could this be causing a pulsating motion in the brake pedal? It only happens about twice a day while driving the car?

Could a faulty cable cause some kick back in my brake pedal? It seems like every now an then I can hear a noise coming from around there and I feel my brake pedal kick and move. I've replaced front rotors & pads. Rear shoes and wheel cylinder. I thought by replacing the cylinder this would help, but it didn't. It still happens occasionally. After I had a guy help me install the wheel cylinder he said, "Don't use your parking brake, looks like the cable is bad". I'm supposed to bring it back to him. Could this be causing a pulsating motion in the brake pedal? It only happens about twice a day while driving the car?
This question in one thread would have bean good ,but while I'm here another thought comes to mind .Are the caliper retainer springs being used:shrug:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?69599-Brake-problem/page2&highlight=caliper+springs
read this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfwmpBdZHN0
watch this video and note the spring is on wrong

Soo while test driving a contour svt the guy i was in the car with said oh yeah the e brake doesn't work and at 45mph pulled the handle up....i heard nothing and it looked like the handle gave him zero tension....

Back