• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

brake pads

svtd00d

CEG'er
98CSVT 140K.. and going!!!!

Anyone know where i can get front brake pads that actually fit into the caliper for the SVT? i bought some from typical parts store, but they aren't the right size. do i have to go to ford next?.. i typically try and avoid them, usually pretty expensive.

There are lots of sources. You need to know exactly which brakes you have and then don't trust the parts catalogs.

For a reasonable presentation on the differences with pictures, go to www.batinc.net and have a look at the brake area in the Contour catalog.

Much of the brake industry uses the same basic brake part numbers. On that numbering system the non SVT and the late SVT uses a number that includes 648, On the early SVT the number includes 762. The switch date in all catalogs is WRONG. It was much earlier than 5/99. From a survey taken here a few years back it could be as early as 2/28, when the E0 to E1 production changed.

Bat is one good source. Our own Stazi is another great source and he provides Bendix.

If you search locally, once you figure out which system you have, print out the picture and take it with you to the parts store to help them find the correct part.

From a survey taken here a few years back it could be as early as 2/28, when the E0 to E1 production changed.

I'm still not convinced its that simple. I think there was a good mix of both caliper types between Feb. and May, as the plant cleared out all the stock of the E0 calipers. I wouldn't be surprised even if some SVT's rolled out during that time with an E0 caliper on one side, and an E1 on the other . . .

Take your bracket in to any parts store/dealership/etc. Find a pad that fits. Like said before, the build/split date in catalogs(paper/electronic)is not accurate.
I ran into this exact problem at my local Ford dealership recently. Bought new pads, got home and they didn't fit.

I'm still not convinced its that simple. I think there was a good mix of both caliper types between Feb. and May, as the plant cleared out all the stock of the E0 calipers. I wouldn't be surprised even if some SVT's rolled out during that time with an E0 caliper on one side, and an E1 on the other . . .

That may be true. The real point is that the catalogs are way off. Also I just noticed an error in my post. I intended 2/98, not 2/28.

Well searching for correct part numbers i figured ide dig up this thread to confirm the above as i have an e1 with eo calipers

It happens, 98.5 also saw the gas tank size increase from 12.5-14.5 IIRC, but my '99 built in '99 had the 12.5 gallon tank, whereas my current 98 built in mid 98 has the 14.5 gallon. They call it the Ford parts bin for a reason, but it happens with all manufacturers. Sometimes the listings are completely wrong as well, if you look up an SE contour in my system at Advance, the front rotors have 2 options, one with drum rears and one with disc in the rear, obviously this isn't correct and the one you need unless you have an SVT is the one listed with drums in the rear.

Well searching for correct part numbers i figured ide dig up this thread to confirm the above as i have an e1 with eo calipers
I'm glad you dug this up. I was thinking about this the other day, and couldn't remember the number I needed. Thanks!

It happens, 98.5 also saw the gas tank size increase from 12.5-14.5 IIRC, but my '99 built in '99 had the 12.5 gallon tank, whereas my current 98 built in mid 98 has the 14.5 gallon. They call it the Ford parts bin for a reason, but it happens with all manufacturers. Sometimes the listings are completely wrong as well, if you look up an SE contour in my system at Advance, the front rotors have 2 options, one with drum rears and one with disc in the rear, obviously this isn't correct and the one you need unless you have an SVT is the one listed with drums in the rear.

I was pretty sure my 2000 had the 12.5 gallon tank.

Back