• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Caliper Rebuild

Blackcoog

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anyone ever rebuilt their rear calipers? I bought rebuild kids for mine because the e-brake lever didn't seem to be working on one side. I tore both apart and now I'm trying to figure out how to get one back together. It looks like I need some specialized tool to compress the spring and get the e-brake lever back in. For those that rebuilt there what did you use?

Never mind, I figured it out. I fiddled around with some screw drivers and a clamp and I was able to compress the spring and get the rears rebuilt without any issues. Both of the e-brake levers work as they should now. :)

Good you got it. A channel lock pliars works perfect to compress the ebrake return coil spring to slide the 'U' shaped ebrake cable bar back into position.

Out of curiosity did you take any pics or find out what exactly was wrong that your ebrake levers weren't working? I just installed an a1-cardone reman'd unit from rockauto and my pedal braking is working but the ebrake lever isn't doing jack. Its not the cable because jamming on the lever with a huge screwdriver also doesn't work.

I didn't take pictures. The rebuild may have issues. If you can still turn the wheel after pulling on the lever I'd take the rebuild back.

Got the rebuild replaced with another rebuild, had issues with the piston retracting too much on the new one and not staying up against the pad. Apparently its a not so unheard of issue with rebuilds and new seals. Twisted the piston out and in a couple of times with the cube and all is well!

Back