• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Svt front rotor question

peebles

New CEG'er
I bought a 99 contour svt for a safety it needs some work I need front brakes iv read that the regular contour has 260mm rotors while the svt has 278mm rotors im having troubles finding rotors all I can find locally is the regular contour rotors. my main question is does anybody make a decent quality set of drilled and slotted rotors? I would rather buy once and get quality parts iv seen stop tech rotors for about 260 for the pair

I could find SVT rotors OEM but they aren't cheap probably just as much as those stop techs.

I bought a 99 contour svt for a safety it needs some work I need front brakes iv read that the regular contour has 260mm rotors while the svt has 278mm rotors im having troubles finding rotors all I can find locally is the regular contour rotors. my main question is does anybody make a decent quality set of drilled and slotted rotors? I would rather buy once and get quality parts iv seen stop tech rotors for about 260 for the pair

These are the same diameter as used on the '98 thru 2002 Cougar - 278mm. That said SVT rotors are available from all the major auto parts stores. Now if you are looking for drilled and slotted specifically, BAT has them in stock.

Drilled and slotted are for looks only on a street car, and wear pads sooner.

Stick with blanks.

I want the looks I like the way they look I can deal with replacing the pads a little more often plus I drive all highway and usually brake hard when turning well harder, but when I was asking for brakes he told me only ones that came up were regular contour rotors. I know some parts guys are lazy and don't want to do any extra work lol

Any blank rotor should be fine as long as its North American made. Cheap rotors made over seas tend to "warp" and rust to the hub. Bendix brake parts are normally good. I had good luck with Napa ultra premium rotors that I put on the wife's Ion when we still had it. Those came painted black too.

I've also had good experience with the NAPA premium rotors, tho they're not available drilled and slotted.

One very easy way to tell if you're getting a good rotor made from the proper type of damped Gray cast Iron is to pull it from the box, hold it by the center hole in the hat and lightly thump the rotor with a screwdriver handle, If it rings like a bell, it's cheap White Iron, if it emits a sort of dull thud, it's the good stuff: Gray Iron. I've done this in front of parts counter minions and pushed the bells back at them. Chinese rotors are frequently cast from White Iron, which is very strong, but it's the wrong stuff for brake rotors.

Don't forsake the UK made rotors - very high quality in my many years experience - http://ebcbrakes.com/about-ebc/ [h=4]EBC Brakes remains therefore committed to its exclusive UK and USA manufacturing.[/h] EBC has no less than 8 dynamometer systems in its two factories representing over $3 million investment in research along and with its 60 year pedigree of brake material blending you can be sure that brake pads bearing the EBC name will deliver and perform. Environment is equally important to EBC and brake pads made in our factories have every possible consideration for environmental protection.

Back