• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need front rotors that'll work with Baer calipers

adam102487

CEG'er
I have Baer calipers on the front of my car and the rotors and pads are done. I have the 12.2" rotor on the front according to the previous owner. Instead of getting a rotor custom made am I able to use a Focus SVT front rotor? Seeing as its a 12" rotor. I understand that there will be a possibility of the brake pad will hang over. Has anyone done this or know if the rotor will even fit properly? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Don't know if the caliper will fit the .2 smaller rotor. Might seem small, but .2 is a bit less than 25% of the total size, which is about 1/4 inch. Without actually fitting one on the 12 inch rotor, it is hard to tell. If there is about 1/4 inch of space between the edge of the rotor and the pad, it might work (the space is not at the hat of the rotor). I'm assuming Baer might have the 12.2 rotor, (which I never have seen one, they usually are in inch and 1/2 inch increments).

What you should do is measure the rotor to see if it is just under 12 1/4 inches in diameter. My thinking is it could be the standard 12 inch rotor.

I would measure mine, I've never heard of a bear 12.2 brake kit. I know mine is supposed to be a 13" brake kit.

12.2" is more of a Wilwood-centric rotor diameter, and these are frequently 0.81" thick. Most Bear/PBR 2-piston calipers want a 1.1" thick rotor, usually 12" or 13" diameter, and very occasionally 12.5" dia.

According to an old Baer catalog I have (2001), for 95 and up Contour and Cougar, there was a Sport PBR system with a 12 X 1.1" rotor and a Track PBR system with a 13 X 1.1" rotor.

Im just going by what the previous owner has posted in the past. I have the 12" rotors in the rear and they look no different then the fronts. My car is in storage and is accessible for me to remove and get proper measurements. I just wasnt 100% on the 12.2" seemed odd.

You might want to call up Baer and ask about the rotor particulars of part number F5FS101204HN, that's their old 12.00" X 1.10" Contour/Cougar front Sport kit. Back in those days, a 12" rotor with 4 lug holes would have been on the rare side, I suspect they used something with the right diameter, thickness and hat offset and re-drilled the bolt pattern. Todd Gartshore of Baer could have answered this off the top of his head, unfortunately, he passed away a few years back.

You might want to call up Baer and ask about the rotor particulars of part number F5FS101204HN, that's their old 12.00" X 1.10" Contour/Cougar front Sport kit. Back in those days, a 12" rotor with 4 lug holes would have been on the rare side, I suspect they used something with the right diameter, thickness and hat offset and re-drilled the bolt pattern. Todd Gartshore of Baer could have answered this off the top of his head, unfortunately, he passed away a few years back.
Thanks for all the info. I did call them and the person I spoke to sounded confused on what a Contour even was.

Just buy the rotors from baer.... or do the prt 13" ford mustang cobra brake conversion..... ill prob have to buy new rotors from baer soon. mine are close to minimum thickness..

Back