• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need to see your rears!!

DJ 59Y

CEG'er
no please don't re- post your own version of the Kim-K pics!

i took my project car (a 99 SVT from craigslist) in to get some work done, including getting SS brake lines put in, front was no issue, the rear.. for some odd reason had a proportioning valve only on the drivers side. and i need to know if that should be there, or not, and if so should there be one on the other side? because the valve changes the gender of the fittings the hard line connections are different from side to side, so i'm going to have to cut and re flare one of the lines either way, i just want to be sure i do it right. I have a new set of valves if i need to use them, but it doesn't seem like i should.

i looked at my 00 Svt and it doesn't have them at all on the back. but i know how for likes to change small details like that from year to year.

so could someone with an earlier build 99 please send me some info on if these valves are in the system on their rear brakes, it will be a ~2" long tube that is in between the hard line, and the rubber lines, usually mounted right below the chassis hanger

Thanks in advance!

I had them on my old 98 svt. One locked up on me so I just ended up drilling them out so I could remove the valve guts and ran it like that with no ill effects. Not saying that was the proper solution but it worked for me.

My '99 CSVT is late build, 2001 of 2760, built April 1999, it does not have proportioning valves in the rear brake lines. I can look in the Ford shop manual and see if they were ever in the early 99's. You should either have both valves installed and functioning, or none at all, probably not good to have only one.

I'd rather look at my coil overs than Kim K's derriere.

My 2000 Cougar had them, but I took them out when I installed stainless brake lines. I've been autocrossing it ever since, and honestly haven't noticed any difference at all in regards to proportioning. Pedal is hella hard with the stainless lines though; great upgrade.

interesting, I gotta check and see if I have them. anyone got a picture of what they look like on the car?

and are those off the shelf koni coil overs? or just a very well installed sleeves?

looks really good, how much was the spring/perch setup? I'm guessing they only fit koni's right?

also, what are the rates on the koni spring kit? trying to compare to what I'm on now...

Interesting. The shop put it back together and drove it and said there was no issue, I had a date with the tranny shop so I couldn't mess with it.. I drove it to the tranny place on the other side of town and no issues, no pull pedal felt fine.. I'll look into swapping out a new line to take the off valve our of line after the tranny shop gets done with it..

Nice coil over setup, Gmorrell, I have the same rig on my 00,except I have ground controls.. Where did you get the helper spring from? I wouldn't mind adding a set to mine.

No Title

If anyone is still interested. Heres a few pics of what he is looking at.

Attachments

• photo15311.jpg
    photo15311.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • photo15312.jpg
    photo15312.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 4
Solo you posted you drilled them out and replaced? So you didn't notice any difference in the braking?

what is the benefit of having them functioning in the first place? I ask because I have a caliper that I think drags occasionally. haven't dug into it to see if it's a rusted hand brake line or maybe one of these or what yet though. figure the rotor is screwed anyway and I might upgrade when I get in there on the brakes. I'm turning into a part hoarder first. tired of taking it apart all the time. just collect struts, brake parts, suspension upgrades etc and then dig in, lol

Nice coil over setup, Gmorrell, I have the same rig on my 00,except I have ground controls.. Where did you get the helper spring from? I wouldn't mind adding a set to mine.

how does that work btw? is it softer than the main coil, or is it firmer like a helper on a truck?

Hyperco makes them, they're very low rate, you can compress them flat in your hand. It's only purpose is to keep the main spring in the upper perch when the suspension goes to full droop, which isn't often, hopefully only when jacking the car or performing Dukes of Hazzard airborne stunts. I couldn't get the spring rate and ride height I wanted with a longer main spring which would have filled the space between the perches at droop, so I used a tender spring.

4" free length
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperco-CS100-...+tender+spring

6" free length
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperco-CS600...2.50"+I.D.+6"+Free+Length+Steel+Helper+Spring

Back