• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New LED turn signals

crackerican69

Veteran CEG'er
So with the car being down, as well as some time off from work and daylight getting shorter, I figured I could tackle a project I've been wanting to do for quite some time. I got some universal amber LED lights a couple months ago. They have been sitting around so I finally decided to install them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiantz-Universal-Hardwire-LED-Turn-Signal-Cluster-1-85-Amber-/261082315000

Here is how it went...

First, I removed the turn signal bulb and inserted a few small dish rags to prevent as mush debris from entering the headlight. I then lined up the LED light to the bulb hole and marked the outline. Next, I used a 1 3/4 inch hole saw and with light pressure, drilled through both outer housing and chrome reflector. (I originally cut through the black housing first, but later realized that you can drill both without an issue of mounting later in the process.)

IMAG0519.jpg

The next step is to take a Dremel with either sanding barrels or red cutting wheels, and slowly and carefully remove small amounts of the black housing to open it up slightly. TRY TO MAKE SURE IT STAYS ROUND!!! You can always cut more if need be, so remove small amounts at a time. When done, insert light into opening to make sure it fits properly. (should be tight with the ability to twist slightly)

IMAG0520.jpg

IMAG0521.jpg

When this is done, then repeat the above process for the chrome reflector. HOWEVER...it should be SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN HOUSING HOLE!!! This will "hold" it in place. Then insert light into hole and check fitment.

IMAG0522.jpg

IMAG0524.jpg

IMAG0526.jpg

If you are satisfied, you can use any clear sealer or epoxy to hold in place. I used a clear windshield sealer. It should look like this when finished...

IMAG0527.jpg

IMAG0529.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

To wire...
DRIVER PASSNEGER
GROUND = BLACK--><--BLACK-------------------------------BLACK
SIGNAL = YELLOW-><--ORANGE/BLUE STRIPE-------------BLUE
LAMP = ORANGE---><--BLUE/ORANGE STRIPE-------------ORANGE/GREEN STRIPE

*or just forget all this and get 1157 amber LED bulbs

Thanks guys. Took about an hour for both lights. At this point...no resistor. I never used any with any of my other LED lights on my last 3 cars with no problems. And I dont really mind the ”hyper-flashing” either. It kinda brings attention to them. You ALWAYS know when someone has a turn signal out! Lol

FINALLY!!! I got around to putting them in the car!!! And while I was at it, I did the fog light mod, sanded and cleared the fogs, and sanded and buffed the headlights. Here are the pics...

hey the fogs are 3'' right? i have been forgetting lately to grab a tape measure and check. reason for asking is because i want to use projecter fogs 3'' with led ring around from a ford tarus

Back