• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gauges lighting and custom guages

SQuAlL-NT

CEG'er
I guess a lot of people have problem with changing the light bulb for the gauges
I got wrong light bulb by follow a member a long time ago, but now i got the right one.
First of all, mine is SVT E0, i don't know if there is any different with E1, and non-SVT.(i think it shouldn't be much big different)
1, Take out and unplug the clock and defog button.
2, Unscrew and take out the whole dashboard.
3, Unscrew and take out the whole meter a bit so u can unplug 2 cables.

Then u will get this.
For the gauges light bulbs, they are these five .
V
V
DSCN3310.jpg

4, Unscrew them in this direction
DSCN3312.jpg

Then u will get all these.
DSCN3579.jpg

For take out the bulb, u have to find something small to push the metal plate from the side.
If you force to pull the light bulbs, they will break.

DSCN3580.jpg

DSCN3582.jpg

DSCN3583.jpg

For the light bulbs:
i bought the LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com , type : 24-xHP (your choice of color)
DSCN3590.jpg

Because the wedge has both positive and negative in both side, so u will get short circuit.
DSCN3584.jpg

Therefore, i did it this way:
Put positive in one side, negative in the other side.

DSCN3589.jpg

Then enjoy the lighting that you are looking for

This is my own custom Gauges and with red color.
Therefore, if you want to make custom gauges, please go to this link (by 98Mystique2) http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?63938-HOW-TO-Custom-Gauges
DSCN3616.jpg

Out of this topic,
Actually i made the custom gauges and try to fit everyone's taste.
I have a better way to print and, so i am trying to sell them.
I just wonder will there be anyone would like to buy?

DSCN3317.jpg

DSCN3451.jpg

DSCN3611.jpg

These pictures are older version, the quality of the halo will be as smooth as the red one

DSCN3601.jpg

DSCN3599.jpg

nice writeup but it seems you have one nasty hotspot between 110 and 140 either way I will probably do his mod

Actually it close out better then the pictures. (well.... my crapy camera)
The hot sopt that really annoyed me is the one from 20 - 40. There is a plastic stick sends the light, but it somehow make a really big hotsop there.
I am trying to cover it from the custom gauges tho.

I wonder if I try some 360 degree led bulbs if it would eliminate the hs's

I wonder if I try some 360 degree led bulbs if it would eliminate the hs's

I dont think it would. I've literally got about 18 LED's wired up in my gauge cluster spread out and pointing evenly at the gauges and i've still got that dead spot.

IMG_0017.jpg

Actually if u use the OEM gauges, they painted the back of the gauges to kill the hotspots.
For example, 40-90 is thicker and painted black behind, and 100-140 is lighter which painted white at the back of the gauges.
That's what i am working on my gauges, so it would come out close to perfect.

I am adding how to change light switch panel face and light bulb here for the group buy.

First take out this panel under the steering wheel.
It use 7mm bolt in mine.

IMG_9285.jpg

IMG_9293.jpg

Then , unscrew these and pull out the whole plastic trim. the top corners will be a bit hard to pull.
IMG_9292.jpg

Then, unscrew these
IMG_9289.jpg

This is where you change the light bulb
IMG_9288.jpg

To change the panel label, you will have to take the switch out. Follow like this, use a small long pin, push it in , and pull out the switch at the same time

IMG_9287.jpg

If you want to buy the white panel face, please go to here
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...t-switch-white-face-panel&p=994118#post994118

Back