• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone Integrate Third Brake Light Bulbs Into The Reflector?

It has been attempted but I'm pretty sure everyone gave up. There simply isn't enough room in the reflector.

When I was big into the ZX2 scene a couple people did with LED's and drilled small holes in the back of the reflector, put a row of LED's in and glued them in. some people liked it but I didnt because it didnt illuminate the whole reflector just a little LED strip in the center. So it went big tail light tiny led stripe big tail light....just looked half ass if you ask me. They have a very similar rear to a contour that is why I used it as a referance. BUT I thought back then, and maybe now too...What if someone got the center "running/tail light" off of a Lincoln and used parts from it and our center reflector...you know the ones that have the center part that lights up, I think the Mark 8 and continental...2000 year maybe. Even some late 90 T-bird had a luminated center....I'l have to look into it, I also agree it would be a really nice mod if done properly on our 'tours!

I personally wouldn't want the whole reflector to light up, just a small bar. But I do see what you're saying about how only a small portion lights up, while it looks like the whole thing is supposed to.

Now if you could get the ford emblem in the rear to light up red...now that would be trick IMO

When I was big into the ZX2 scene a couple people did with LED's and drilled small holes in the back of the reflector, put a row of LED's in and glued them in. some people liked it but I didnt because it didnt illuminate the whole reflector just a little LED strip in the center. So it went big tail light tiny led stripe big tail light....just looked half ass if you ask me. They have a very similar rear to a contour that is why I used it as a referance. BUT I thought back then, and maybe now too...What if someone got the center "running/tail light" off of a Lincoln and used parts from it and our center reflector...you know the ones that have the center part that lights up, I think the Mark 8 and continental...2000 year maybe. Even some late 90 T-bird had a luminated center....I'l have to look into it, I also agree it would be a really nice mod if done properly on our 'tours!

just so u know the 2nd gen mark VIII's that have the neon trunk light bar, they are notorious for going out, and I u can't get that part new anymore I think, why u wthing must of the 2nd gen mark VIII's have that center bar light out to this day

I have already done that.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm281/Loco_motion/Rearreflectoremblemassembledprot-1.jpg

I have been working to light the rear reflector for a couple of years and I have the parts I need to do it. I should finish it when the weather warms up a bit in spring. I will show what I did to install the lights with a few pics as I do the final assembly and post them when it's finished.

Now if you could get the ford emblem in the rear to light up red...now that would be trick IMO

I have already done that.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm281/Loco_motion/Rearreflectoremblemassembledprot-1.jpg

I have been working to light the rear reflector for a couple of years and I have the parts I need to do it. I should finish it when the weather warms up a bit in spring. I will show what I did to install the lights with a few pics as I do the final assembly and post them when it's finished.
Looks good.
I would like to see that light up in Green like the dash lights!

Back