• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heated seat switches

kaighn80

New CEG'er
Can anyone tell me how to wire these up please, my estate didn’t have heated seats, I’m using some universal heat pads but would like to retain the factory look by using the standard switches but I have no clue how to wire them.

thanks in advance.

The OP is from the U.K. perhaps the Mondeo had heated seats? Don't know.

'Murican Contours and Mystiques were notable for their de-contenting.

Sorry guys yes I’m uk based, we had the option in the st models and it came as standard in the ghia and ghia x, it’s a weird switch, it latches on when the ignition is on but resets when the ignition turns off

Here in the US we have access to something called the EVTM, or Electrical-Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, which has electrical schematics of all the systems in the car. I know for a fact that the US Contour/Mystique EVTM says nothing about heated seats, so you're going to need the European version.

eBay is a great place to find car service and workshop manuals for decent $. I checked ebay.co.uk and did find Ford and Haynes Mondeo service manuals, perhaps your answer is in one of these?

Switches are usually pretty straightforward. You can check the continuity across them in different positions to determine which position is which if your not sure.
Once you know how the switches work, you just have to find a power source. You can either run a new power line from the fuse box under the dash which is only powered when the key is on, or you can tie into another device which is powered from that box such as your windows, fuel pump, cigarette lighter, air conditioner, power seats, etc. The power seats are probably a good choice due to location and being a fairly large fuse. Then you can either ground the heaters to any convenient location or connect the ground to an existing ground wire such as the one for the seats.

That would work for an on/off switch.

Switches that need to be manually reset are probably driven off a relay in the fuse box which would probably look very much like the defrost circuit (without the timer module):
defrost circuit.png - Click image for larger version  Name:	defrost circuit.png Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	1825858
So you would need a relay. There's probably an open space for one in the fuse box if it was an option.

Back