• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Center Console Questions

Randy Gunn

New CEG'er
I don't currently have these parts so I don't have anything on hand to reference.......

- I need the center console (that runs the length from the shifter to between/behind the front seats). Are the auto and 5 speed consoles interchangeable?
- There is no panel right below the radio deck, thus the radio is not entirely secure. Is this a separate panel that I can get or is it integrated into a larger dash piece?

Hope this makes sense,
Randy

I would think the ATX/MTX center consoles are the same, at least they look that way, the only difference is the shifter, and the hole in the console appears to be the same size.

On the dash, mine has a blank piece that is part of the dash under the radio. At least that is how it appears to me. That piece does have the cig lighter socket there. Have not tried to remove that section of the dash, if that is even possible. If it is possible to remove it, I was considering putting a volt meter and an oil pressure gauge in there.

Good to hear about the console.....that will make tracking one down much easier if I don't have to be finicky about whether it's an auto or stick.

I just put in the section that goes under the dash. It has the drink holders (with insert!) and lighter. That's when I realized it didn't contain a piece to support the radio.

And I forgot to mention, should it make a difference, that the car is a '98 SVT. In fact, I got it from Matty K a year or so ago.

Good to hear about the console.....that will make tracking one down much easier if I don't have to be finicky about whether it's an auto or stick.

I just put in the section that goes under the dash. It has the drink holders (with insert!) and lighter. That's when I realized it didn't contain a piece to support the radio.

And I forgot to mention, should it make a difference, that the car is a '98 SVT. In fact, I got it from Matty K a year or so ago.

I looked at a picture here with the dash apart, and it appears the lower section does come off. When I pulled my lower crash pad to install my hand controls, I did not have to go that far, and it appears that mine is not removal, but I am not going to mess with it.

Question, what year console are you talking about? Pre98 or post 98?

All year atx/mtx consoles are the same.

For the post 98 the tray under the radio is part of the trim piece.

For the pre98 there is a tray that is attached to the dash for the radio. The center console itself and the side panels attached to the tray.

Also pre98 Mystique and Cougar center consoles are different and do not fit the Contour.

I have a complete tan interior including the dash and console, seats,blah blah blah from a 99 T-Green CSVT if you'd be interested. Pm me here for info

Back