• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mirko splitter questions

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
As part of an ongoing project, I was considering getting in on the Mirko splitter group buy. However, never having seen one in person, I had some general questions.

What is the functional difference between the Duraflex and Carbon fiber ? One is more rigid than the other ?

When the splitter is added, how much lower is the chin to the ground with an otherwise stock vehicle ? Roads here arent necessarily great, and I dont want to bottom out a $300 piece of plastic.

thanks,

Mad Dog

not only do they sit a little lower but they stick out a few inches so you have to be careful when entering/exiting driveways and in huge dips and speed bumps. the duraflex are a blend of plastic and fiberglass. they have a little bit of "memory" built into them so if you start to hit something it will flex a little and then go back (unless you keep bending it). with a fiberglass splitter like the original mirko, they would just break, and easily.

carbon fiber is very stiff. it doesnt really have any flex in it. its like fiberglass but much stronger.

if you plan to DD the car and have bad roads than i would recommend the duraflex over cf.

Thanks for the info. does anyone know what the additional chin drop is ? I really like the look, but GA/SC roads scare me.

Mad Dog

It def sits lower..heres a pic of mine for reference

IMAG1402_zpsa2636ad0.jpg

IMAG1401-1-1_zps620bfc20.jpg

Ummm.... 3 inches maybe ? Dammmmn..... whats the life expectancy for a Mirko, these days ? 1 year ? 3 years ? 10 minutes on Georgia roads ?

Mad Dog

Ummm.... 3 inches maybe ? Dammmmn..... whats the life expectancy for a Mirko, these days ? 1 year ? 3 years ? 10 minutes on Georgia roads ?

Mad Dog

depends on how one drives. I have been fine for years. I did finally take a small chunk out of it but it did bottom out hard.

Ahhh, so if I understand you, the failure mode of these things is not to instantly disintegrate into a million pieces, but to lose small chunks. That doesnt sound too bad.

I really do like how it looks. Must ask the wife for permission..... : )

Mad Dog

Splitter has been discontinued for a while now. The mold was sold to SVT4STV which initiated the Extreme Dimension pieces.

Back