• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Peeling clearcoat on CF IMRC cover, help? (pics)

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
Hi all. I'm guessing this should be here in exterior, even though it's under the hood. I've had a CF IMRC cover that I got off a member here about 5-6 years ago. The clearcoat is starting to peel in places, and I'd like to fix it if I can. Should I just sand the peeling areas down, or would that be a bad idea? What grit would be best, or any other suggestions to help me out would be appreciated. Thanks all. Here's a few pics of the issue.

cfcover3.jpg

cfcover1.jpg

cfcover2.jpg

i want to start out saying that i'm no painting expert,

but to me it seems like you would be able to just sand the GENERAL area of the peeling spots with maybe like a 600 at the least to start out, personally i may even start with like an 800 or 1000, and then give it maybe 2 coats of clear, then sand the whole thing with 1500-2000 and then clear it 2 or 3 more times..

doing that would seem like it would make for a good repair, because if you were to JUST sand the problem areas and clear it, then it would look a little different in those area's...

i'm sure you will get this figured out!

-Mac

If the peeling is only in the clearcoat, you should be fine. Just rough it up and spray a few coats of clear over it.

If the cracks are in the epoxy, then you've got a whole new problem there. From the pictures you posted, its hard to tell but id first try sanding and shooting some clear to see where the problem is. Can't hurt!

Back