• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removal of small dents?

Flood

CEG'er
Hey CEG, Just had a quick question about removing small dents. Didn't know if you guys would be able to help me or not.

I've got a few small dents on the quarter panel and the roof of my car. They are maybe about 2"-3" in diameter and not very deep. There is no paint damage. I've heard that you can remove dents by heating them with a hair dryer or heat gun then spraying CO2 from an air duster on them or passing over them a few times with dry ice.

What I need to know is, is this safe? Will it work, and will it damage my paint? I'm not going to do it now, but I'd like to do it in the spring after the weather gets warm, if in fact it will work.

If this won't work, any tips on how to get rid of small dents?

Thanks.

I just watched 10 videos on that hair drier and air spray trick. Seems to work well on some dents. I'm gonna try it on my truck soon.

I think that stuff only works with large dents. Like say you tried to close your door with your butt, and it dented the door skin.

I tried it with various small dings on my car, no dice. Way to small and tight to pop out.

I've been wondering the same thing but about a larger dent, my neighbor hit my car and keeps saying she didn't and she called be a bastard 6 times so now my feelings are hurt and my car has a dent in the drivers side dorr i have to look at:blackeye:....and i still have the emotional scars of her calling me a bastard:laugh: i'm gonna try the hair dryer and dry ice, good thread

The correct way is to pull off whatever interior trim is covering the dent from the inside, get the paint nice and hot so it doesn't crack and tap the dent out from the inside with the correct tool. They look like little cylinder head valves.

Tiny little dents yeah it is that simple, you just have to be REALLY careful and go slow. I've got a few little dinks in mine too but honestly, the car is a driver, its going to get more and scratches etc... I'm leaving it as is until I get the car painted (if I keep it that long) and when that happens it is a super simple task of just filling and smoothing out any imperfections during the prep stage.

Back